capacitor removal

edited March 2008 in Hardware
could you please tell me how to remove the leaked capacitor out of dead motherboard ?

thank you

Comments

• EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited February 2008
    Hi,
    I worked for Digital Equipment in 1986/87, and we had good equipment for handling multi layer cards.

The problem is not to remove the capacitors, it is to remove the solder in the hole.

Also if you use to much heat, it will create blisters in the card layers, which might actullay destroy the card.

Read this,
    How To Desolder Components
    Soldering Tools
    Wikipedia - Soldering

Solder
    Wikipedia - Capacistors
    Capacitor plague

What I miss the most at home, is a good vacum pump with a heat element to remove the solder.

One tips is to work on a scrapped card first until you got it right.

Also get a Temperature-controlled soldering station.

Example,
    http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Loetstation_Weller_WTCP-S.jpg

or

http://www.elfa.se/images/prodimg/8224115.jpg
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2008
    I don't want to be the voice of discouragement. But if you have to ask how to do it, you probably aren't up to the ability to do it.

That being said, you've got a dead motherboard, so you can't really make things worse. So at the very least if you want to practice your micro soldering skills you've got a nice big board to practice them on.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    I'm REALLY handy with a soldering iron but I would be leery of do a cap replacement. Those things are small... and have you found the exact replacement caps?
  • edited February 2008
    hihi .................... thank you so much for your good hint ................... I found that 2 computers at work were dead, I replaced the motherboard and took them home. I examined them with the magnify and found there was few capacitor were leaked,

thank you for your suggestions Esso, yes, good vacum pump with a heat element to remove the solder is a good one, I will search for that one, I successfully removed leaked capacitor out the motherboard, hooray, I will replace them with the same F

Kryyst, I have awareness of that, I believe that is a practice only, it would be greate if I success, if not, try again, at least I have tried .......... I have this in my mind, if I do not succeed to day, tomorrow I will .................. learn from mistake that is my aptitude .............

QCH2002, I clean all the caps, and with the magnify, I found the hole on the top of the cap, yep, that is what need to be replaced ...............
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2008
    and found there was few capacitor were leaked
    Oh yeah, three choices:

1) practice changing out capacitors
    2) throw the motherboards away now and be done with it
    3) check with the admin types to see if you still have a warranty or service agreement for your computers
  • edited February 2008
    Leonardo wrote: »
    Oh yeah, three choices:

1) practice changing out capacitors
    2) throw the motherboards away now and be done with it
    3) check with the admin types to see if you still have a warranty or service agreement for your computers
    yah, it good suggestions, I do not think I still have warranty, it is been there for long ........... right, I choose first option then .............. :):D
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    PICS!
  • edited March 2008
    Could you please where can I buy cap 1500 microF in Victoria, Australia

thank you
  • jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Blue_Dog wrote:
    Could you please where can I buy cap 1500 microF in Victoria, Australia

thank you

Well, I don't know any distributors in Australia, but here in the states www.digikey.com would have it. I think they would ship to you.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    You can get a soldering iron with a suction bulb attached (in the US at Radio Shack). Not as slick as the powered vacuum ones, but a lot less money.
    You do this a little at a time. Use a very small tip and don't try to melt everything at once. Get enough solder removed to get the cap out and then go back to clean the holes up.
  • edited March 2008
    Thanks J and EdCentric
  • jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    one more little trick. Sometime the solder can be stubborn to start melting, so use more solder to help the old to start flowing, then use your suction, or solder wick to remove the solder. Solder flux helps too
  • edited March 2008
    thank you so much for your reponse J