Can't open FAT files in an NTFS computer

edited April 2008 in Hardware
I saved some files in a FAT disk but couldn't open them in an NTFS computer. How do I open them. Urgent, please! Thanks.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Can you see the files on the NTFS computer?
  • edited March 2008
    try using get databack it will help you to get data from ntfs and fat volume
  • edited March 2008
    The files are invisible in NTFS but appears in a FAT format. But I can no longer use a FAT PC anymore. The ones I could use are in NTFS.
  • edited March 2008
    you may need to convert it to ntfs, don't you :) :lol:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    You're not making much sense.

Any NTFS-formatted PC can read a FAT-formatted drive. What exactly is going wrong? What OS are you running?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2008
    Is this on an external Drive and if so can you see the drive and what OS did you use to save the files to the drive in the first place?
  • edited March 2008
    XP.

Yes, my computer can't open my files on my flash disk. But when I right click then go to properties, it indicates that there's files in the disk. I just couldn't find it in the folder.
  • edited March 2008
    there are many ways, but do you want to try it or not ? if you do not try, you will never ever get your work done :D

the easy and simple way take your flash disk and try on other windows with different volume as ntfs and fat32, try with windows xp, vista, 2000 etc once a computer does not recognise does not mean other computer does not see the files

considering convert your computer back to FAT volume or convert

try to use "get databack" it can get data from HDD or memory card that you think it was dead, you don't see but you don't be sure a computer don't see right, I have recover the lost data from similar case, and it works, you got to trust me please

my word to you is think it over again and try or take action rather stay there and confuse youself :lol:
  • edited March 2008
    this is a program helped recover lost data from dead memory card or unopen-able memory card. you go to trust me ok!

go here for more information http://runtime.org/gdb.htm or download as below instructions

GetDataBack for FAT v.3.32 - 2,74 Mb +5% info
    http://rapidshare.com/files/76142364/GDBFAT332.rar

GetDataBack for NTFS v.3.32 - 2,72 Mb +5% info
    http://rapidshare.com/files/76142513/GDBNTFS332.rar

GetDataBack for FAT + NTFS v.3.32 - 5,22 Mb +5% info
    http://rapidshare.com/files/76142804/GDBFATNTFS332.rar

GetDataBack is more than an undelete or file recovery program or a system restore:
    Whatever happened to your drive-

GetDataBack will recover your data if the hard drive's partition table, boot record, FAT/MFT or root directory are lost or damaged, data was lost due to a virus attack, the drive was formatted, fdisk has been run, a power failure has caused a system crash, files were lost due to a software failure, files were accidentally deleted...

Recover even when Windows doesn't recognize the drive-

GetDataBack can even recover your data when the drive is no longer recognized by Windows. It can likewise be used even if all directory information - not just the root directory- is missing.

Get everything back-

Advanced algorithms will make sure that all directories and sub directories are put together as they were, and that long file names are reconstructed correctly.

GetDataBack is safe-

GetDataBack is read-only, meaning the program will never attempt to write to the drive you are about to recover. Please make sure to read the safety instructions...

GetDataBack is easy to use-

The software enables the regular user to conduct his own data recovery by guiding him through three easy to understand steps, thus gives the advanced user the possibility to interfere with the recovery and improve the results, by examining the scan log, the file system details, file and directory information, by selecting the sector range to be scanned, by choosing excessive search for file systems or search for lost files, by calling Runtime's DiskExplorer.

Recover files over your local network or over a serial cable-

This feature enables you to run GetDataBack on one computer ("remote") while accessing the drives of another computer ("host").

Recovering data over a network is useful, especially when you are not able to remove the drive you want to recover from and attach it to another computer.

GetDataBack recovers from:
    Hard drives (IDE, SCSI, SATA)
    USB drives
    Firewire drives
    Partitions
    Dynamic Disks
    Floppy drives
    Drive images
    Zip/Jaz drive
    Compact Flash Cards
    Smart Media Cards
    Secure Digital Cards
    USB Flash Drive
    iPod Disks
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited March 2008
    This doesn't make sense.

As Thrax said an NTFS windows installation will read a FAT partition.

For years I had two hard disks in my PC. The boot disk was NTFS and the slave was FAT32. It worked fine.

I would suggest the issue is more to do with your flash drive not quite configuring itself properly. I dont see you need any software to recover the files but it might be worth a go.
    edited March 2008
    Absolutely do not follow blue_dog's advice on converting your drive back to FAT. Never try to convert an NTFS drive back to a Fat drive it will destroy it (not physically just to a state where you have to fdisk it and whipe it).

Seems like your usb drive got corrupted. You may be able to get data off it with data recovery software. The GetDataBack program Blue_dog linked to is actually pretty decent and may do the trick. http://runtime.org/gdb.htm
  • edited March 2008
    Thanks for the info but GetDataBack wasn't clear on flash disks. So I'll install it in a regular drive and then I start disk recovery on the flash drive?
    edited March 2008
    panget wrote:
    Thanks for the info but GetDataBack wasn't clear on flash disks. So I'll install it in a regular drive and then I start disk recovery on the flash drive?

Correct.
  • edited April 2008
    It worked, thanks, but the results are mixed. The files I've deleted and those that are not sprouted in random folders. Some of them have similar names. How do I tell which is which.

After the program run its progress, a pair of entries sprouted in a listbox. One is the 1.61 gb and the other is 161 mb (I think). I just clicked any of them. It's pretty much a mess. Please help.
    edited April 2008
    And that's the issue, if the files got corrupted they may not be recoverable. You just have to try recovering as much as you can and hope for the best.

What types of files are you trying to recover? Word documents, Movies, Music etc....?