My Build - Ordered it Yesterday

2»

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    up and running
    Alright! So it's safe to assume your parents won't disown now? :D

Seriously, good, good!
  • edited March 2008
    CPU and HSF and Memory are in.
    7203353281.jpg

After fiddling with the Front Panel Wires we got it going. :D
    7203353190.jpg

7203353153.jpg

Right after finishing installing OS
    http://www.putfile.com/pic/7814569#
  • edited March 2008
    Ya I was hoping Id not get disowned :)

It seemed to be staying around 32C when I was in the place where it says the temps.

It wouldnt have been much of a loss to my parents if it hadnt worked. My school is paying for all but $40 dollars of it.
  • edited March 2008
    I hadnt hooked up the power cables to the video card so it went into low power mode, so I shut it down and hooked that and the spdif cable up.
  • edited March 2008
    Im posting this from the desktop :D It runs choppier then my laptop at times. It seems to be working good right now.
    edited March 2008
    "choppy" - would you please be more precise. Off the top of my head, and lacking detailed information from you, it would appear to be new motherboard drivers not installed or not completely installed.
  • edited March 2008
    I think it was from the Microsoft updates I was running at the time. Two other things I have wrong with this. First I need drivers for my monitor Acer x193w. They dont have xp drivers for it on their website. :( Also it takes forever to load games, dont have any idea why it stays on this blackish blue screen for quite some time before loading. and the second thing is that when I get into the game the speaker that I had plugged into the motherboard starts beeping and won't stop. It is a continuous beep that never ends until the game is closed. :( SO I unplugged the speaker from the speaker slot on the motherboard as a temporary fix. I dont know what would cause it to continuously beep like that.
  • edited March 2008
    If I was to ask a price to build a computer like this for someone what price would be good?
    edited March 2008
    The right prices is whatever you think someone would pay. It all depends on where you sell it.
  • edited March 2008
    I think it was from the Microsoft updates I was running at the time.

three things I have wrong with this. First I need drivers for my monitor Acer x193w. They dont have xp drivers for it on their website. :(

second thing is it takes forever to load games, dont have any idea why it stays on this blackish blue screen for quite some time before loading.

and the third thing is that when I get into the game the speaker that I had plugged into the motherboard starts beeping and won't stop. It is a continuous beep that never ends until the game is closed. :( SO I unplugged the speaker from the speaker slot on the motherboard as a temporary fix. I dont know what would cause it to continuously beep like that.

Some reason It wouldnt let me edit my earlier post :(
    edited March 2008
    The beep - check your BIOS settings. You may have a CPU temperature alarm set for an unreasonably low temperature. And of course, check the CPU temperature in the BIOS and in Windows.
  • edited March 2008
    I believe it was staying around 30 degrees C for the CPU and 40 for the GPU, I think the alarm is set to 60C but Im not sure I'll have to check that again. What would you suggest for the temp alarm to go off at?
    edited March 2008
    If you think you need the alarm and are not overclocking: 55C for alarm and 60C shutdown. Neither of those temperatures will damage your CPU, but it's best to play it safe if you aren't accustomed to overclocking and using high performance cooling.
  • edited March 2008
    System temp right now is 38C and CPU Temp is 66C so I'm going to have the Alarm go off at 80C or 70C
  • edited March 2008
    I turned the Alarm to go off at 80C because the temp had heated up to 72C and the alarm is still going off. Its starting to drive me up the wall :)

How do I check the CPU Temp from in Windows?
    edited March 2008
    Your CPU should not be getting that hot! If 72C if the reading in the BIOS, it is HOTTER when running Windows.

Something appears to be wrong physically with the cooling:

a) heatsink is not mounted correctly/securely, or
    b) thermal paste is correctly applied, or
    c) the fan on the heatsink is not working, or
    d) BIOS is giving crazy readings, or
    e) you are overclocked but your system can't handle the increased heat generation, or
    f) any combination of the above

You need to fix this problem right away or you risk ruining the CPU. Check the CPU heatsink to ensure that it is seated flush on the CPU top. How did you apply the Arctic Silver?
  • edited March 2008
    The fan is working and I applied the paste like it said to for arctic silver 5 on their website. I followed the instructions for mounting the HS and fan.

I'll check it tho.
  • edited March 2008
    The HS and Fan arent staying on the motherboard. :( Argh
  • edited March 2008
    Ok the fan is on there nice and proper and latched down tight and, it was still beeping so I enabled the forget chassis intrusion detection and it quit beeping after restart. Whew.
    edited March 2008
    The HS and Fan arent staying on the motherboard.
    Sniper, I am so glad we discovered this before your CPU damaged. Hey, don't feel bad. Those stock Intel Socket 775 heatsinks are a pain in the boot to secure correctly. The problem you just experienced is actually common.

To monitor your CPU temperature in Windows, you can use SpeedFan or CoreTemp, both of which are freeware. SpeedFan will also read voltages.
  • edited March 2008
    that is kind of annoying tho I put it on twisted the things that are supposed to secure it then later it pretty close to falls off lol.

Ya, I wouldnt of wanted to ruin it that would of sucked for me :(
  • edited March 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    "choppy" - would you please be more precise. Off the top of my head, and lacking detailed information from you, it would appear to be new motherboard drivers not installed or not completely installed.

What do you mean by new motherboard drivers not installed or not installed correctly/completely?

When I try to update the BIOS it says error wrong BIOS ID Check.

It still takes quite awhile for it to load games, it should be doing better then my laptop but its not.

I installed all the Motherboard drivers that were on the disc that came in the box.
  • edited April 2008
    I overclocked the CPU to 2.6Ghz
    The RAM to 968mhz
    and the GPU's Core bus to 856 and the memory bus to 1002

Dome reason the Graphics card keeps swithing back to factory clock speeds. Why is it doing this?
  • edited August 2008
    I have this desktop overclocked at 2.8ghz, stock cooling. Seems to be running stable. Its the ALLENDALE revision.
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited August 2008
    Cool, just keep an eye on those temps. Also, to help with the temps, try some better cable management, will also smarten up the computer.

dont forget to make that alarm temperature back down to 60c, 65 shutdown.

Glad all is going well, just make sure you install ALL drivers. :)
  • edited August 2008
    Ive got them installed and I set the alarm to 60C
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited August 2008
    Gdgd. Glad its all ok now,