Advice please for a 7600 GT OC's capabilities

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited March 2008 in Hardware
Question: What are the gaming capabilities of a BFG 7600GT OC video card. One of our members is interested in a video card I have, but I don't want to sell him a card that won't meet his needs. As many of you know, I'm not a gamer.

Edit: the video card has a Zalman FC-ZV9 cooler mounted on it.

The prospective buyer is Nickboxer7, and here is what he wrote about his gaming requirements:
I'm not a huge gamer, since I do a lot of gaming on the 360. I would like to just about play any game out there, but doesn't have to be highest quality. I would like to play BattleField 2142, TeamFortress2, and Unreal Tournament 3 mainly. I would like the card I get to be able to run settings pretty high on most games, since I have always ran near the lowest on my old computer and my laptop to play anything.
Please give Nickboxer7 and me your objective comments.

Thanks

Leo

Here's the WTB thread.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    7600 won't cut it. It's lower than low-end now.
  • Nickboxer7Nickboxer7 KC,MO
    edited March 2008
    Let me add that I am on a budget. Don't suggest an 8800 to me please.

My new system will be 4000+ X2, MSI NEO2 board, 2x1 GB DDR2 800, 2x 160GB SATAII in RAID 0, and a DVD Burner

Not a whole lot, but pretty good bang for the buck.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    It sucks and you can't overclock it.
    edited March 2008
    7600 + Core 2 duo = ~5.5k 3Dmarks
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    How about the 9600GT or a 38xx series card? All are <$200 and have decent performance.
    edited March 2008
    Harudath wrote:
    It sucks and you can't overclock it.

Are you talking about my system or the card? The 4000+ overclocks very well if that is what you are talking about.
    edited March 2008
    Nickboxer7 wrote:
    Are you talking about my system or the card? The 4000+ overclocks very well if that is what you are talking about.

the card :)
    edited March 2008
    Harudath wrote:
    7600 + Core 2 duo = ~5.5k 3Dmarks

I don't know if that score is good or not.
    edited March 2008
    Nickboxer7 wrote:
    I don't know if that score is good or not.

The same processor + 8800GTS 512 = ~14,000 3Dmarks.

The 7600GT needs extra cooling to be any good. I had to take the case off and blow a fan on it to play Total war at above 10fps. So if you buy that card you'll need to buy decent cooling, which when you think about it will probably be a worse value for money deal than if you got an 8600 or a 9600 (Note these are budget cards)
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Pfft Harduth i doubt that check my system specs I land around 10K over clocked
    edited March 2008
    Heh, well, check my signature :tongue:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Harudath, please pay attention to the first post. It's a 7600GT OC. It is overclocked, from the factory. And, I should have posted, the card has a Zalman FC-ZV9 heatpipe cooler on it. Whether that would be sufficient for Nickboxer7 or not I don't know, but at least know which card we are discussing.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    My regular ol' 7600GT runs TF2 and other Source engine games at 1600x1200. The only other game I play on it is Civ4, which it struggles to run at 1600x1200, but manages to as long as AA is off.

The 7600GT is not a bad card, but I wouldn't buy one brand new, retail. I think that's what some of the other posters have gotten hung up on. Buying one second hand for a deal, however, may not be a bad idea.

I have an dual core Opteron at 2475 MHz, and I got 3218 points in 3DMark 06. That score is from before I added another gig of ram, but the card was overclocked a little.
    edited March 2008
    I know, what I meant was that what performance you recieve when you get it is the maximum you'll ever get (from the card at least). With that cooling it should be ok. I started talking about the 8800s to give a comparison.

E6750 @ 3.2 + 7600GT = 3400 3Dmarks

E6750 @ 3.2 + 8800GTS = 13833 3Dmarks

It would do the job, but not for very long (in the scale of things) I would have thought. I had the same card, Leo :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    I had the same card, Leo
    I appreciate your comments, really. It just wasn't clear to me.
    edited March 2008
    I guess I'm more confused now, because I was looking at the XFX 8600GT which is 95 minus like 30 dollar rebate right now so it will in the end be around 70 bucks. That didn't sound too bad, but I can't afford the 9600. It just depends on how much the 7600 will cost me.

Would it run UT3?
    edited March 2008
    Hmm, I've never played it before. The 8600GT will perform better than the 7600GT, and will also give you that lovely ol' DirectX 10 if you have/when you get Vista :tongue: Although the 7600GT does run Vista just fine.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    I don't have any UT3 knowledge, but a 8600GT is pretty much the same speed as a 7600GT. Maybe just a hair faster. Note that while it supports DirectX 10, it probably isn't powerful enough to make it worthwhile.

There may be 8600GT reviews that feature UT3 benchmarks. Worth a look on the Google. Yes, a 8600GT will run UT3. I just can't say at what resolution/FPS/quality...
    edited March 2008
    Here are some of the cards I've been looking at. ATI HD 2600XT, X1650 series (GT, XT or whatever), Nvidia 8600GT, 7600GT. How would you rate those? They all seems to be in the near or less than 100 dollar range and seem about the same in benchmarks to me.
    edited March 2008
    http://www.buy.com/prod/xfx-geforce-8600gt-xxx-zalman-edition-256mb-128-bit-gddr3-pci-e-x16/q/loc/101/206575962.html#

Here is a card I have looked at. Supposedly the GT's can OC to about the GTS.