Looking to Buy A Gaming PC and Need Some help

edited March 2008 in Hardware
Hello, So I'm in the market for a nice gaming pc! I want a pc that is able to run games such as Crysis and world in conflict...I was looking at these two computers:

VELOCITY MICRO PROMAGIX E2020 that a friend would sell to me around $250

and a CyberPower Custom built Computer another friend is offering..I don't really feel like listing everything in it but it's very similar to this computer that i found on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220209762931&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012

Any Help would be greatly appreciated...Also would it be wise to be a computer off ebay because Ive seen some great deals on gaming pc's on there....Also it seems like ebay is more in my price range which is about $300-$400

-Mark

Yes I realize thats not a big price range but Im looking for a used computer

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Can you provide a link to this "Promagix E2020." I didn't spend long looking, but all I got after a quick Google was a bunch of eBay stuff that didn't look to be worth any more than the asking prices of around $250. And, they looked to be great gaming rigs....

for games six years ago.

Concerning the auction item you linked. It would be a decent gaming computer (not tops, but certainly not slow), but considering it's used, his Buy It Now price is too high (typical eBay).

For sure, there are deals to be had on eBay, if one searches very carefully. Are you sure you want to buy a pre-owned computer from a private seller over eBay? Can you make repairs if something is broken? What are our computer skills?
  • edited March 2008
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120230010572&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

Thats a link to a Velocity which seems to be overpriced...

But to answer your question yes I could vary easily make repairs. I enjoy fixing compters and I also have a friend who's one the top computer engineers at Lockheed Martin so just in case I couldn't fix he most certainly could. I also have been using ebay since around 2000 so I'm not new to that..But I Haven't bought a computer on Ebay before..... I search ebay a lot in my free time and I've found a lot of computers in my price range that seem to be pretty good gaming pc's but I'm hesitant to buy them almost as though I feel like I'm not really sure what I'm looking for to be in the pc itself...

From What I know this is what I should be looking for correct me if I'm wrong:

Around a 8800GT Graphics card

Core 2 Duo or Quad core processor at least 2.4Ghz (which the Cyberpower auction is lacking but I suppose I could overclock even though I don't really know how to but I'm sure I could figure it out)

DDR2 or DDR3 Ram

Around a 700w Power supply

And A good Hard drive

Im not really sure what type of mobo I should be looking out for though....

-Mark