New guts, computer all screwed up

panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
edited March 2008 in Hardware
I installed a Gigabyte P35 mobo, Core 2 Duo CPU and new RAM

The computer starts into Windows, gets to the desktop, then immediately restarts

I can get it into start mode.

I really didn't want to reinstall windows, but looks like I may have to...

Is there a BIOS setting that may be causing windows to restart right when it gets to the desktop on a normal boot?

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    You should to do a repair installation.
  • panzerkwpanzerkw New York City
    edited March 2008
    Performing now, fingers crossed
    edited March 2008
    Repair installation complete.

Computer started into windows. Upon reaching the desktop it immediately rebooted.

Now the computer won't go past "Starting Windows..."
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Not even safe mode?

I personally would create an image of the OS installation, format and see if the problem persist but I usually overanalyze problems. You could also try memtest. Maybe the ram is DOA.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    1. for now, ensure the computer is only operating on essential components - video card, PSU, one RAM module, and one hard drive. Disconnect everything else.
    2. go into the BIOS and set for fail safe defaults (or whatever Gigabyte calls it). F10 to save but again enter the BIOS. Bump the RAM voltage up one or two notches - it might be that your RAM is starving for power. Check the RAM voltage range against what is default in the BIOS. If I remember correctly, your A-Data is 1.8v +/- .1v. Also, some motherboards undervolt the RAM by up to 0.1v.
    3. try booting again. If no go, switch out the RAM module with the other one
    edited March 2008
    Since the last post I wiped out my hard drive and started anew with a fresh windows installation. Everything seems alright now. The long rebuilding period begins...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Reformat is really the only surefire solution for a chipset replacement that is not in the same driver family.