Building a new Xtreme gaming system. Need a lil help

edited March 2008 in Hardware
Hey guys, Im in the process of building a new system. I am building this system strictly for gaming so I am not sure what CPU and mobo I should get. I was lookling at the .45 NM E8400, 8500, or maybe a Extreme quad core. I am also looking for a SLI mobo so I would need to get a mobo with a Nvidia chipset. I was thinking along the lines of EVGA, or MSI. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

This is the current system I have been looking at so far

CASE: CoolerMaster Stacker 830 Tower 420W Case W/ Side-panel Window (Black Color)
CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel® Core™ 2 Extreme QX9650 @ 3.00GHz 1333FSB 12MB L2 Cache 64-bit
MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI & QX9650 Support) EVGA nForce 780i SLI Mainboard FSB1333 DDR2 3 x PCIe x16 SATA RAID w/ USB2.0, IEEE1394, & 7.1Audio
PSU:Thermaltake W0133RU ToughPower 1,200 Watts Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready
MEMORY: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)4GB (2x2GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory w/ Heat Spreader)
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 16X PCI Express (EVGA Superclocked Powered by NVIDIA)
VIDEO CARD 2: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 16X PCI Express (EVGA Superclocked Powered by NVIDIA)
HARD DRIVE: Extreme Performance (RAID-0) with 2 Identical Hard Drives (300GB (150GBx2) Gaming Western Digital Rapter 10, 000RPM SATA150 16MB Cache WD1500ADFD)

If this is over kill please let me know. I am basically looking to be able to run any game out there or released in the near future at the highest settings. Thanks in advance for your input.

Comments

• Nickboxer7Nickboxer7 KC,MO
    edited March 2008
    I would really like to see that priced up :D
  • edited March 2008
    Well with everything its around $3500-$4000 dollars.
  • Nickboxer7Nickboxer7 KC,MO
    edited March 2008
    I think it might be a little overkill. I mean, I would think if you just got the 2x PCIe x16 it would save quite a bit of money and I don't think you need 3 cards, but maybe you want them.

Another thing are the raptors. I personally don't think they are worth the extra money. I've seen benchmarks where they perform faster, and others where they don't. I don't see the whole craze about them. Just my take. It sounds like a monster machine though.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Welcome to Icrontic! How did you find us?

I think the E8400 would be a better choice for all out gaming. Sure, that quad core CPU is a fantastic piece of silicon, but for hard core gaming, I think I'd go 8400.

The PSU is overkill. Look for an OCZ or Corsair in the 700-800W range. The Antec 850 is also highly rated. You would probably be OK with a high quality 650W PSU even, but the 700-800W range would give you headroom.

Very nice case you picked out.

No opinion on the motherboard. Someone else can advise you on best SLI boards.

Not sure if RAID 0 will really give you much if any gaming advantage. (I could be wrong.) Those 10000RPM drives are fast enough as is. RAID 0 is also volatile and has the twice the potential for files corruption versus a single drive.

I gather you won't be overclocking, as I don't see an aftermarket CPU heatsink selected.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Two 8800GTS G92 in SLi would perform almost identical to two 8800GTX but cost near $200 less for the pair. They also consume less power / run cooler.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Hmm, if you're going to use two SLi cards I (personally at least) wouldn't pay the extra for a third slot, but mas0n's right about the GTSs there :tongue:

To be honest.. It's overkill- My system can run crysis perfectly and it costs a hell of a lot less than that does :tongue:

Core 2 E6750 @ 3.2ghz
    EVGA 8800GTS 512 G92
    2GB 800MHz DDR2 HyperX gaming RAM
    160GB-5200rpm-budget harddrive
    ASUS P5N-E SLi (I don't reccomend it)
    Antec 900 Case
  • edited March 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Welcome to Icrontic! How did you find us?

I have been a member for quite awhile I just haven't been around and lost my account info. In the past I have received excellent advise from these forums and I see nothing has changed. :)
    edited March 2008
    Having looked up the prices on the processors you were considering, I'd say that definitely you should go with the E8400. For gaming, you'll see about the same performance as with the Q9650, but save over $700! The Q9650 is Intel's flagship processor. There is no competition in that category and Intel prices it accordingly. For the price of the Q9650, I could upgrade two of my computers both with new motherboards and lower clocked quad processors, overclock them, and exceed the performance of a Q9650. I realize you may have no interest in overclocking, but still, the Q9650's price reflects 30% performance and 70% bragging rights. That 70% will not translate to improved gaming potential.
  • edited March 2008
    Well, I do have interest in OCing I just havent done it in so long. Kinda got out of computers for awhile. I just want to get the best bang for my buck.
  • edited March 2008
    Does anyone know anything about the E8500 "Wolfdale" thats coming out? I heard its going to 3.1 ghz. That really isnt a vast difference over the E8400 is it or am I wrong?
    edited March 2008
    No, it's not a big difference in performance. Yes, it will be faster than the E8400, but not by a huge margin. You probably wouldn't even notice the 100MHz speed difference. BTW, the 8400 is a Wolfdale core also - 45nm core architecture.

For quad core overclocking, you just can't beat the proven Q6600. They are default at 2.4GHz. 3.0GHz OC is a cakewalk. Many overclockers don't even have to raise voltage for 3.0. 3.5Ghz is a high overclock, but definitely not the highest. The Q6600 can be had for as little $250. The Q6600 is based on 65nm architecture. 45nm parts are starting to hit the distributors and retailers, but I don't know which models and what their capabilities are. They, no doubt, will overclock just as well, will use less power, and will run cooler. No clue on what prices will be.

BTW, those overclocking figures I gave are on air cooling. Three of my rigs are overclocked Q6000 rigs. Two of those motherboards powering the Q6600's are sub-$100 Abit IP-35Es. You would though, want a better board for gaming.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    For quad overclocking, the Yorkfield hands the Kentsfield its ass, but not economically.
  • edited March 2008
    Well I have redefined my build to be a little more cost effiecient. What you guys think?

Case:Stacker 830
    CPU: E8400 or Q6600 <--- Need some real help with this one.
    Mobo:Asus Striker Formula 2
    Memory: Ballistix Tracer 2GB PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) x2
    Video Card: BFG 8800 GTS 512mb x 2 (Wondering if the GT model would suffice or should I wait for 9800)
    Harddrive:Seagate Barracuda 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

I think Im getting a better idea of what I want due to you guys and your excellent advise. I appreciate it.
    edited March 2008
    My advice is still the same for the CPU. If this machine is primarily for gaming, go with the E8400. It 's great CPU. Four cores doesn't benefit gaming much if at all compared to good dual core CPU.

That's a very nice hard drive you've selected.

Will you be running Windows XP or Vista? If Vista, you should consider 4GB of RAM - 2 X 2GB. I think you might get better performance by running 4GB of less expensive DDR2 800 rather 2GB of expensive 1066. (I would like to see a hard core gamer's opinion on this.)

What are you looking at right now for a power supply? Good brands to consider: OCZ, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling. Antec may not be what it used to be, but their 850W is excellent quality and a great performer.
    edited March 2008
    4GB 1066 isn't that expensive at all. Anyone looking to make a serious gaming machine should consider it. It's, at worst, $30 extra.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited March 2008
    If, however, you ever decide to do Folding@Home with us, a quad totally pwns the dualies.
  • edited March 2008
    Well I have redefined my build to be a little more cost effiecient. What you guys think?

Case:Stacker 830
    CPU: E8400 or Q6600 <--- Need some real help with this one.
    Mobo:Asus Striker Formula 2
    PSU: True Power 1000W
    Memory: Ballistix Tracer 2GB PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066) x2
    Video Card: BFG 8800 GTS 512mb x 2 (Wondering if the GT model would suffice or should I wait for the 9800s)

I think Im getting a better idea of what I want due to you guys and your excellent advise. I appreciate it. I was also wondering if Nvidia chipset is really the best way to go. How is the crossfire boards compared to Nvidia?
    edited March 2008
    Re: DDR2 800 vs DDR2 1066
    It's, at worst, $30 extra.
    Spend the extra get the 1066. RAM is dirt cheap these days.

Why are you still concerned about the processor choice? E8400 for gaming. You can always plug in a quad core later if you find you have a big need for multi-threaded (four threads) applications. Right now, aside from very intense multi-tasking and extreme Folding@Home, there just aren't very many desktop applications that make good use of a quad core CPU.

PSU: I think you'd be better served with an OCZ Gamestream 700-800W or Corsair TX 750W. A 1000W PSU won't improve your system over the two PSUs I just linked. Both of them are high quality and can power just about anything you could cram into your proposed gaming rig.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    9800's will be over priced and not out for a long time... Stick with 8800GTS 512MB cards and get a sweet running rig.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2008
    My suggestions (some have probably already been mentioned):

- Stick with 2x8800GTs (much cheaper and won't sacrifice much compared to 8800GTS 512s)
    - Move from 2x raptors to 2x WD3200's. The newest revisions of this drive are very fast, will cut your storage costs in half plus you'll get more than double the storage. Take it from someone who has owned raptors for years. They are fast, but they are not worth the price premium.
    - As Leo mentioned, the E8400 is a great chip. It is an incredible overclocker as well if that interests you. Unless you plan to do a lot of encoding or really heavy multi-tasking, quad-core is not necessary. You can always upgrade to quad once the 45nm models come down in price.
    - PSU: You don't need 1200W for 2x8800GTs. Take a look at the Corsair TX750--much cheaper and a solid unit.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! :)
    edited March 2008
    Drazn, you've gone AWOL. Where are you? :)

Nice price on an OCZ 700W Gamestream. This would be plenty enough power for your proposed rig. It's also a very good quality PSU.
  • edited March 2008
    IM right here...just weighing my choices...I truely cant decide between the 3870 x2 and the 8800 gts. I have decided on the e8400 but not which NB I want. NVDIA or something else. *sigh*
  • edited March 2008
    OK guys here is what I have decided. Ill be ordering it later on today.

Case:Cool Masters Stacker 830
    CPU: Core 2 DUO E8400 3.0ghz
    HS/FAN: ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler
    Mobo:EVGA 790I SLI Intel
    PSU: True Power 1000W
    Memory: OCZ 4GB PC3-12800 (DDR3-1600)
    Video Card: BFG 8800 GTS 512mb x 2

I know the PSU is a ittle much but it comes with the Stacker 830. So what you guys think?
    edited March 2008
    Back up!

Get the GTS 512mb, not the 640mb. They're 15% faster.
  • edited March 2008
    any BFG 512 or a specific one. I found this one on newegg its more expensive than the other one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143120
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Because the clock speeds are alot faster, and it has more stream processors, if you're comparing it to the 640, however that BFG 512 is already overclocked, so you won't have much to do there, although the core is only up by 50MHz, I've managed to bump mine up by 150Mhz to 800. GTS 512 = Pure win :bigggrin: