Shin Splints

2»

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    make sure you are walking/running properly. I used to get shin splints all through highschool basketball because I walked/ran improper. It wasnt until I got into the Army that I corrected this.

You have to make sure your heal lands first.

I walk 4-6 miles at work somedays, and still have not gotten shin splints.

this might help
    http://www.rubberbug.com/walking.htm
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    do what i did long ago, get your shins replaced with wood. Works like a charm (cept for termites)
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Form is a big thing, to an extent. But if you're running DEAR GOD DON'T LET YOUR HEEL HIT FIRST!
  • SidekicksolSidekicksol Kansas City, Kansas
    edited March 2008
    thanks fatcat!

lol Miracle
  • edited March 2008
    Running on a track in football boots can't help.

Do you play on grass or astro turf?
    edited March 2008
    grass, but i usually just wear sneakers when im on the track.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Form is a big thing, to an extent. But if you're running DEAR GOD DON'T LET YOUR HEEL HIT FIRST!

actually, you are incorrect.

Running techique

[blockquote]2) Stride and Heel / Toe Contact - Open your stride to a point where you will land on the bottom of your heel (closer to the ball of your foot) and roll across your foot, pushing off the ground with your toes. Many people run flat footed or on their toes causing stress on their lower back, hips, knees and ankles. You can eliminate this by following the simple Audio Test. If you can hear your feet hitting the ground when you run, then you are running wrong. It should sound like your shoes are rolling on the ground quietly. Comfortable running shoes will also aid in prevention of injuries.[/blockquote]
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Main point- dont run heavily :tongue:
    edited March 2008
    fatcat wrote:
    actually, you are incorrect.

Running techique

[blockquote]2) Stride and Heel / Toe Contact - Open your stride to a point where you will land on the bottom of your heel (closer to the ball of your foot) and roll across your foot, pushing off the ground with your toes. Many people run flat footed or on their toes causing stress on their lower back, hips, knees and ankles. You can eliminate this by following the simple Audio Test. If you can hear your feet hitting the ground when you run, then you are running wrong. It should sound like your shoes are rolling on the ground quietly. Comfortable running shoes will also aid in prevention of injuries.[/blockquote]

See, I think the difference we're talking about here is a "jog run" and a "run run". If you're just striding and hoping to carry a good pace, then that's the truth. If you're sprinting(as I'm used to) you want to stay just past mid-point of the foot and literally keep contact to a minimum. Extra contact = extra time spent not applying force.

edit: AKA semantics sucks :(
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    One should not 'sprint' for exercise .
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Sprinting is some of the most effective aerobic exercise there is. Look up HIIT.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Agree with Thrax. If you wanna get serious, HIT is the way to go.

As far as shin splints, I've had my run ins with them. Played soccer all 4 years of HS.

My question is, which is going to sound dumb, what sort of stretch routine do you do before games/practice? As in specific stretches. Also, how long on average does it take you to go through your warm up stretches.

The reason I ask this is because I rarely ever got shin splints. I played probably 6 days a week for at least 3 hours without much of a problem. When I did get shin splints, it was because I half-assed the warm up. (which is why I was asking)

Shoes doe play a big role (or did to me). I had a pair of Kelme Masters and they were fantastic shoes. But, about half way through the season my feet started killing me. I replaced the stock inserts with a really nice pair the trainer recommended me - made all the difference in the world.

Good luck with your season and enjoy it while you can! I really miss participating in HS sports. Not only was it a bunch of fun but it kept me in shape ;)

cheers :jared:
    (that's a glass of water of course! I don't condone drinking during the season hehe)
    edited March 2008
    as of right now, usually about 10 minutes on stretches. wouldnt know what to tell you otherwise because i have no idea what they are called, i just do em.

in the off season, i play for the Kansas City Blaze, and our coach rushes everything, so maybe 5 minutes 0.o
    edited March 2008
    As far as I know, the best routines in the country integrate what is called "dynamic warm ups" into their stretching routines before every practice/competition. It's a series of motions that, in general, are not stretches, but warm up the muscle groups in such a way that they are ready for literal "dynamic" performance.
  • KrazeyivanKrazeyivan Newcastle, UK
    edited June 2009
    Quite old thread now but I suffer badly from shin spints but the physio told me to get a towel and use that to strengthen the area.

Sit down on the floor legs straight ahead of you (sitting upright) keep a hold of the towel at each end and throw it round the top of your feet - now push the top of your feet (i.e. your toes) away from you - the towel will provide resistance - do sets of these everyday to strengthen the area. Also if you can grab some one do the opposite - have them wrap the towel around your feet again but they sit opposite you , start from the "pointy" feet position and bring it back to straight. The towel will be providing resistance from your partner - they can vary it as you get better.

Hope that understandable!