My New RIG!!!

edited March 2008 in Hardware
After six months of contemplating, I finally went two weeks ago when microcenter was having their big sale and bought $500 in parts to upgrade. This is what I ended up getting

7600gt (256mb-got from friend for $50)
Antec 900 case
4gb ocz plat ddr2 800
AMD 64x2 5k black edition (with silenx tower cooler)
250gb sata drive
80gb sata drive (for windoze)
500w coolermaster psu
Dlink 108mbps wifi card (works with my 108mbps router woot)
Logitech g15 keyboard
Logitech optical mouse
Sony DVDRW drive
Win XP Pro

The next part of this project I think will be to start working on the water cooling, as I want to super OC it. Any other sugggestions as to what to do?

It gets ~90fps in wow, which is all I need it for.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    If you want water cooling for the fun of the project, I certainly understand. Your new CPU will serve you well, but I'm not sure it has much overclocking headroom.
  • edited March 2008
    I've been reading of clocks at 3ghz a core with little or no problems. The main point of water cooling is to make it more quiet though.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2008
    Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + 120mm Scythe fan is probably quiter than the other fans in the PSU and video card and it will let you OC well past what the CPU will go probably.

What motherboard?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    What mobo are you running?
    After the cooling project you can start shopping for a beefier video card.

Looks solid.
  • edited March 2008
    It's an ECS A770-M. The video card will be going up to an 8800gt in a little bit. I don't plan on changing cpu cooler as I'm pretty happy with this one and don't want to spend money on another one as I just bought it. I have considered putting in silenx fans for the rest of my case fans, as well as replacing the ones that come with the 900 with it. I have it running at 2.8ghz easy right now, I am gonna try to push 3.1 this afternoon.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2008
    Read this page:
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/ecs_a770m_a_review/9.htm

Good luck.

2 of the most important pieces in an overclock are the motherboard and cooling solutions.

And why install windows on the smaller disk? Most likely its older and is quite a bit slower than the 250gb disk baring they are both 7200rpm drives. Higher density = more data read/write per rotation which is the limiting factor in HDD access.
  • edited March 2008
    Because then I'd have to partition the bigger one : ) It's where I keep all my torrent stuff. As to that review, it's rather moot now because ECS released a new bios which happily oc's. Mine is running at 3.1ghz at 28C/47C (full load). I'm pretty happy with it right now, because it is still running at stock voltages for everything.