Media Server with External Enclosure

edited March 2008 in Hardware
I am looking at picking up a dlink media server http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=438)
Along with this I would like to get a 1 TB hard drive and an external enclosure. I plan on connecting the external to the media server via usb 2.0 so that the transfer rate wont slow down video. Also I would like to have the external have a ethernet port because I plan to hook it up to the network as a way to transfer files from pcs to the hard drive. What I am curious is if anyone has any external enclosures that they know of that support usb 2.0 and ethernet. Newegg has one but it does not have any reviews. Also if anyone has any opinions on the dlink server or a place/brand of cheap 1 TB hard drive that information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jskill

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    How many systems would the server support? External drives on USB 2.0 aren't exactly fast.
  • edited March 2008
    well for a majority of the time it would just be the hd connected to the server with usb. I would only have it networked for the first bit as a method to get all of my media off of my 3 computers. I was under the impression that running usb 2.0 would be fast enough to stream all types of video and in most cases would be faster than having the media serer running everything over the network
    edited March 2008
    impression that running usb 2.0 would be fast enough to stream all types of video and in most cases would be faster than having the media serer running everything over the network
    If by "network" you mean one or two computers on a home network, I'm sure USB 2.0 is fast enough.
  • edited March 2008
    Yes it would be 3 computers....they are all wireless networked so that is why all I planned on doing was mapping the drive and then over the network sending all the media files to the external after all my files are transferred I will only be using the external with usb to the media server.
    edited March 2008
    Well then, USB 2.0 is certainly fast enough to keep up with wireless. Not an issue.
  • edited March 2008
    Ok thanks....do you know of any external enclosures that have ethernet and usb because so far I have not yet found one. Also do you have any brand you would suggest for a 1 tb hd. I was leaning towards seagate.
    edited March 2008
    I don't think you can do better than Seagate. I'm sure there is a means for connecting an external storage device to Ethernet, I'm not aware of any external drives (not part of some type of expensive kit) that have an Ethernet port.
  • edited March 2008
    I'm actually thinking about picking something up like the Mediagate (MG-350HD) http://www.mediagateusa.com/html/mg350.html or th Mvix Wireless Hi-Definition Media Player MX-760HD http://www.mvixusa.com/product.php?product=mx760
    Does anyone have any experience using a device like this?

Thanks