Web Development forum?

Josh-Josh- Royal Oak, MI
edited December 2003 in Community
Can we get one? :-/ Any thoughts?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    well there are only a handful of web developers on our site currently, and most of us use the digital media or programming forum as appropriate for our discussions. I don't see a need at this point, because adding a forum adds a lot of database queries and we like to run lean. Of course, if we have 100-200 posts a day in the programming forum and they are all web related, then we can talk about it :D
  • Josh-Josh- Royal Oak, MI
    edited December 2003
    Barely anyone uses the programming forum cept for me..
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    See my point? :/
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    So, prime, what exactly are you saying?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Um, http://www.w3c.org has forums and email lists. Lots of web dev discussion is done in newsgroups and email lists you subscribe to, a VERY lot of it. Most web admins and developers like to sell their custom code, but there are a ton of newsgroups, usually grouped by the software used. Macromedia has a whole set, and some sites that talk about Macromedia products also have email lists for that. Newbies post, "look here," and and a few look and critique.

Microsoft has a whole SET of forums, unless they took them down:

Used to be at http://www.microsoft.com/community/ for the signup, IIRC (been a while since I hung out in the community area there, might be http://community.microsoft.com/ now.

But, for basic knowledge, nothing beats books. Safari is decent for having books online to read if you cannot afford a bunch all at once, and you can decide what to buy later that way, or subscribe to next level up and they will let you rpint a limited number of chapters for yourself. They do pay royalties and not all publishers hook up with them, but O'Reilly and Associates does. That is why few folks post here about web-dev.

John.
  • Josh-Josh- Royal Oak, MI
    edited December 2003
    The reason I was asking was because this seems to be a nice community, knowledgeable, respectable, I would rater not become a person that has to go to a newsgroup, ect, rather then here.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    Let's expand the conversation a little, then. What kind of topics do you think should be covered in a Web Development forum that are not currently covered by the General Software, Programming, and Digital Media forums?
  • t1rhinot1rhino Toronto
    edited December 2003
    I you have questions concerning web development, by all means ask. Normally only questions start up discussions. :)