formatting system drive

davidacorddavidacord Humboldt CA
edited March 2008 in Hardware
I took my 80 gig Hard Drive from my old system and want to make it my secondary drive in my new system. I can't format it in my old system because its got the OS (XP) on it. I can't put it in the new system because I get a conflict with my primary. (it wont boot) So how do I do this? :confused:

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited March 2008
    You can put it in your new system. You have to make sure that the jumpers on both your drives are set correctly. Make sure that if they are both on the same IDE ribbon that one is set to Master and the other to slave. If they are on seperate ribbons then make sure that it's master or slave on the second ribbon depending if you've got any other drives on it.

Then in your bios make sure that in your boot options it's booting to the correct drive. Once that's done it will boot into windows and then you can format it.
  • davidacorddavidacord Humboldt CA
    edited March 2008
    Um, err, ah, I don't know what to say except... DUH!!! I'm like sooo stupid. I forgot about jumpers ?!?

Thank You Kryyst
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    DUH!!! I'm like sooo stupid.
    You are in good company. Every one of us has had one of those moments....probably much worse.:rolleyes2
  • davidacorddavidacord Humboldt CA
    edited March 2008
    That was supposed to be my "Valley Girl" accent : Like Oh My God!