For those who weren't in the channel this afternoon

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited March 2008 in D&D Supernerd Heaven
A bit of catch-up work:

[13:17] {CB} Especially since I've been cleared to populate the world with non-standard races.
[13:18] {CB} You can't be a dwarven monk in this campain because there's no such thing s a dwarf.
[13:19] {CB} There may be something similar however.
[13:19] {CB} but, since the world may not have huge underground mine/cities, it doesn't make sence that the world would have dwarves
[13:20] {CB} since that's where they come from.
[13:21] {CB} Gender will also be an important consideration for some of the races... much more so than the standard set.
[13:21] {CB} and they will be much more different from each other than the standard.
[13:22] {BuddyJ} Are you gonna use Xiphosrans?
[13:22] {CB} I already have a good idea of what the races are going to be, but I'd like to create a 'guide' of sorts to them before I introduce them to you.
[13:22] {BuddyJ} http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=995913
[13:22] {CB} no
[13:25] {CB} There will certainly be humans however
[13:25] {CB} that's the only one I'll keep from the original set.
[13:25] * the_technocrat has quit IRC (Quit: On the other hand, you have different fingers.)
[13:28] {CB} actually a crustacian race is a neat idea...
[13:29] {BuddyJ} Like the Homorids from Magic.
[13:29] {BuddyJ} or whatever they were.
[13:34] {prime|work} i thought we were doing a 'standard' campaign world
[13:34] {prime|work} you're inventing races, etc?
[13:34] {CB} The races will be non-standard.
[13:35] {CB} It's the only part of the rules that I was told I was allowed to change.
[13:35] {CB} The races are part of the setting, not the rules, imo.
[13:35] {prime|work} there are lots of racial rules though
[13:36] {Thrax} toooons of them.
[13:36] {CB} Well, I'm still rereading the PHB, and making decisions as I go.
[13:37] {CB} But if you don't want custom races, I need to know. Personally, I find the standrard races terribly boring.
[13:37] {Thrax} the races are what you make them.
[13:37] {Thrax} There are some archetypes you should abide by, but they're whatever you make them.
[13:38] {CB} and the standard races wouldn't really make sense in the world I have in mind.
[13:40] {BuddyJ} The question then is, with your custom races, how far of a deviation are they from the standard archetypes?
[13:42] {CB} Visually and role-playing-wise: vastly different. Rules-wise, there will be similarities.
[13:45] {prime|work} Honestly, I'd rather stick with standard well-document canonical races
[13:45] {CB} but if you gus would rather not, just tell me. I mean I had wanted to change everything from the equipment sets to the spell system, but I was asked not to and that's fine.
[13:45] {prime|work} because we're 7 people who have never played together before
[13:45] {prime|work} (well, most of us)
[13:45] {prime|work} and we're gonna have enough challenges as it is just with logistics
[13:45] {prime|work} we should make the actual game try to run as smoothly as possible
[13:46] {BuddyJ} not to mention d20 is a new system for quite a few of us.
[13:46] {CB} If you guys even would rather I just used faruun or something, that's fine too.boring for me, but the players fun is more important.
[13:46] {prime|work} I'd rather use Faerun, as far as fun goes: it is what you make it
[13:46] {prime|work} Just because we'd all be "on the same page" as it were
[13:47] {BuddyJ} I've never played Faruun.
[13:47] {CB} here's the thing: for me, the fun part is creating the world and the story.
[13:47] {BuddyJ} All I know is Iron Kingdoms and Eberron.
[13:47] {CB} I like making maps and cities and races.
[13:48] {CB} but I'd hope that I could be trusted not to scrw up the game with my creations.
[13:48] {prime|work} you can make maps and cities and races in faerun
[13:48] {prime|work} well
[13:48] {prime|work} maybe not races
[13:48] {Thrax} I like Faerun a lot. It's the most common setting. But there is also a lot of blank space in continental Faerun.
[13:48] {prime|work} I always did that in my campaigns:
[13:48] {Thrax} Make cities there, make maps
[13:48] {CB} no all the cities and stuff have already been placed.
[13:49] {prime|work} ostensibly they were in Faerun
[13:49] {prime|work} but I always made my own cities and dungeons
[13:49] {Thrax} And if you want to intro new races, make them as NPCs this time
[13:49] {CB} and the politics.
[13:49] {Thrax} so players get a feel for them
[13:49] {prime|work} well yeah but you don't need to ever use any of the pre-fabbed cities
[13:49] {prime|work} they can be there for flavor
[13:49] {CB} I don't want to use any of it.
[13:49] {prime|work} for context
[13:49] {prime|work} well it's your call
[13:50] {prime|work} I just want to be able to play standard races, that's the only thing I'm pretty firm on
[13:50] {CB} the story setting I have in mind cannot exist alongside faruun
[13:50] {prime|work} I think it'll make everything run smoother
[13:50] {CB} Let me give you an example before you make that hard-fast decision:
[13:50] {prime|work} I mean, we're playing D&D here, not CB&D
[13:50] {CB} One of the races that is pretty fleshed out in my mind already is similar to elves:
[13:50] {Thrax} hahaha
[13:51] {CB} They are tall, lean, use magic a lot.
[13:51] {prime|work} it sounds like you want to create your own entire roleplaying game
[13:51] {CB} The main differnces are visual.
[13:51] {CB} I do want to do that.
[13:51] {CB} and I have in the past.
[13:51] {CB} the game I DMed before was entirely my own creation
[13:52] {CB} the differnce between this race and elves is that the ylive off photosynthesis.
[13:52] {CB} so they have some bonuses and detriments that are interestingly different, and lead mostly to role-playing differences.
[13:53] {CB} I feel the standard races are far to homogonous
[13:53] {Thrax} what.
[13:53] {CB} they're all just basically differntly shaped humans.
[13:53] {Thrax} No they're not... O.o
[13:53] {CB} my races would have similar rules, ut would be biologically vastly dffernt
[13:54] {CB} Dwarves look like short people, elves look like tall people, etc.
[13:54] {CB} oh! pointy ears, YES!
[13:54] * Shulender has quit IRC (Quit: Bye bye :))
[13:54] {Thrax} African people ostensibly look like American people. Cambodians ostensibly look like Nordics.
[13:55] {Thrax} Try telling them that they're similar. heh.
[13:56] {Thrax} The races should be viewed as races, not free-standing species. They're primarily different through culture, as different as I am from someone from Malaysia.
[13:56] {CB} That's the part of the story I want to change.
[13:57] {CB} I suppose I'm looking to make the races into differnt species.
[13:57] {CB} Biologically
[13:57] {CB} which, as I said, is mostly a role-playing change.
[13:57] {BuddyJ} wel, in that case, I'm playing a catgirl.
[13:57] {BuddyJ} All purpose cultural catgirl Nuku-Nuku
[13:58] {CB} I was planning a feline race.
[13:58] {BuddyJ} I figured.
[13:58] {Thrax} WARNING, RIDICULOUS BIOLOGY VS. FANTASY: Biology has, more or less, proven that the 5 fingers/5 toes/forward eyes bipedal humanoid to be the pinnacle of adaptability in an earth-like climate, which Faerun is.
[13:58] * Invisible_Muffin has joined #icrontic
[13:58] {CB} fine
[13:58] {CB} and my races have those things.
[13:59] {CB} but some of them evolved from plants, some from cats, some from lizards, etc.
[13:59] {CB} they can all still wear armor, and hold swords, whatever.
[14:00] {prime|work} i just think that's a bit too advanced for what we're trying to pull off here
[14:00] {prime|work} let's see how this works, keep it simple, and then if we click together and this works out, we can get crazier
[14:00] {CB} I don't think it's any more advanced.
[14:00] {CB} and I think you guys could handle it.
[14:00] {prime|work} i mean, you're not only creating an entire canon here, you're also learning new software, a new way to DM, a whole new paradigm
[14:01] {CB} I also think you're judging the campain setting without giving is even a little bit of a chance.
[14:01] {prime|work} I'm not judging
[14:01] {CB} yes
[14:01] {prime|work} I'm trying to keep things simple
[14:01] {prime|work} Your campaign world sounds awesome
[14:01] {prime|work} I'd love to play a plant-based druid.
[14:01] {prime|work} That would be cool
[14:02] {CB} As I said, however the fun level of the players is THE most important consideration here...
[14:02] {CB} so...
[14:03] {CB} I think that the races 'm developing for my world would lend an interesting atmosphere to an other wised overused pseudo-mideival setting, and I truely feel that the players would have more fun with them than the standard, but there are obviously conserns, so how about I do this:
[14:05] {CB} I'll present the new races asthe primary races of the part of the worl thatthe player will be in, but allow the original standard races as selections also, stating that they come from a far distant un-named homeland.
[14:05] {CB} Does that seem like it would work?
[14:05] {Thrax} I like it.
[14:05] {Thrax} OH
[14:05] {Thrax} How about this?
[14:06] {BuddyJ} an undiscovered continent of some sort?!?
[14:06] {BuddyJ} huzzah
[14:06] {Thrax} Faerun is a continent on the planet of Toril. You could place your setting on another continent.
[14:06] {Thrax} And other races could simply have sailed from Faerun.
[14:06] {BuddyJ} ^5
[14:07] {CB} Okay, I guess I'll disclose the setting, so that you have an idea what I mean... I was going to wait until I had more of it defined, but I want you guys to unerstand where 'm going:
[14:08] {CB} The campaign world will consist of a lrge number of small island, with a few larger islands among them. Nothing large enough to be called a continent.
[14:08] {CB} the tech is such that the six main races of the islands have only come in contact with one-another about 300 years ago.
[14:09] {CB} the political situations are rocky at best.
[14:09] {CB} and they're getting worse.
[14:10] {CB} this is why I can't just add cities to the lands already in faeruun...
[14:10] {CB} However, if it makes sense to put those islands on the other side of the world from the Faeruun story, I'mm certainly okay with that.
[14:11] {prime|work} it would make things interested to hear rumors of powerful goings-on in far off lands across the oceans
[14:11] {Thrax} Yeah. They just have sailpower in the Forgotten Realms universe, so it would take adventurers forever and a day to get to your archipelago.
[14:12] {Thrax} Thus promoting the uniqueness of your races, and explains the existence/possibility of classic races.
[14:12] {CB} good.
[14:12] {prime|work} I really enjoyed Star Tropics :p
[14:12] {CB} :)
[14:12] {prime|work} Is this "C-Island" in the land of Coral Cola?
[14:12] {BuddyJ} I like Gilligan's Island.
[14:14] {CB} Sinc eou have that much of the setting, want me give you the races too, as they are in my head right now?... they could stll change some before I finalise them, and there are certainly still details to work out, but it could let you start thinking if you want to usethem.
[14:15] {prime|work} hit me, daddy
[14:15] {prime|work} lay it on me
[14:15] {prime|work} I want to be a cat hula girl
[14:15] {prime|work} woo hotness!
[14:15] {Invisible_Muffin} thats what she said...
[14:16] {CB} okay.
[14:16] {CB} The Feline race is one:
[14:16] {CB} they are called the Lynx, and evolved from the beast of the same name from the beasiary of faeruun.
[14:17] {CB} they make exelent archers and theives.
[14:17] {CB} they were the first race to suffer from the discover of another race, as they were ubjugated by the Wisps, and driven from their native island. they line in constant exile.
[14:18] {Black_Hawk} What is going on in here?!
[14:18] {CB} The Wisps are the plant-race.
[14:19] {CB} the characters are actually the seed-form of giant trees from their homeland.
[14:19] {Invisible_Muffin} he's describing some form of game he's making i think
[14:19] {CB} they excel at magical arts, can survive for long periods of time underwater, and suffer penalied in the darkness.
[14:19] * Black_Hawk thinks CB was picked on alot when he was a kid
[14:19] {CB} true, but unrelated
[14:20] {Black_Hawk} oh but it is related
[14:20] {CB} they however never need food, only water.
[14:20] {Invisible_Muffin} hey, games have to come from SOMEWHERE
[14:20] {Black_Hawk} yeah, people that have nothing else to do :p
[14:20] {CB} The Drakes are the evelutionary result of dragons stuck on islands.
[14:21] {CB} Thy re cold-blooded, and so have trouble in the cold northern island, or in the chill water.
[14:22] {CB} they may be the best melee fighters in all of the islands, and ony excel at one magicsl dicipline: Illusion, which they all have some natural skill in.
[14:22] {prime|work} can I actually _be_ a human though?
[14:22] {CB} The Fallen are wise arrogant race, which I haven't fleshed out yet, except that they are very religious.
[14:23] {CB} Yes.
[14:23] {CB} Humans are the primary race of all the islands.
[14:23] {CB} The most wide-spread.
[14:23] {Thrax} humans are a plague :P
[14:23] {CB} becasue tof their curiosity and plague-likeness.
[14:24] {CB} The Trodden are the former slaves of the The Fallen.
[14:24] {CB} and are related to The Fallen in ansestry, but like The Fallen, I haven't fleshed them out yet.
[14:24] {CB} those are the six races.
[14:25] {Black_Hawk} Ok, the biggest question nobody has asked yet. Which is the race with the biggest boobs?
[14:26] {prime|work} That would be "Thy Booben"
[14:26] {CB} The Fallen tend toward large breasts.
[14:27] {mas0n} ok, now i'm interested
[14:27] {skryking} the ones with the best plastic surgeons
[14:27] {Black_Hawk} hmm. big boobs, slaves. Are they hot?
[14:28] {Black_Hawk} do they use whips as melee weapons?
[14:28] {CB} BuddyJ, Thrax, Prime?
[14:28] {CB} Do those sond interesting?
[14:28] {BuddyJ} yeah for the most part.
[14:28] {Black_Hawk} None. They should all be women of different races fighting each other to the death with oversized dildos.
[14:29] {Black_Hawk} and by death I mean orgasms
[14:29] {CB} That's a totally differnt game, BH.
[14:29] {CB} Though I think I've seen that movie.
[14:29] {BuddyJ} Dungeons and Dildos?
[14:29] {BuddyJ} The game of bondage fantasy adventure.
[14:30] {prime|work} They sound interesting, but please don't be offended if I'm still a human
[14:30] {CB} By no means would I be.
[14:30] {prime|work} are the other standard races going to be available? Elf, etc.?
[14:30] {CB} That's what we were just talking about, did you walk away?
[14:30] {Black_Hawk} probably
[14:30] {CB} I'll present these six as the main races of the setting.
[14:31] {CB} but the other races will still be available.

whew.

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    I'll have a more comprehensive guide to the setting and the races before I ask you to chose your character types.

I will not be offended even if everyone just chooses original races for their characters... but the original races will be a rare sight as NPCs.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum
    catches a familiar whiff in the air...
    Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    catches a familiar whiff in the air...
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Yes, they're based on the Fiery Realms races, but it's not like I can plagiarize myself.

Also everyone keep in mind that I am not done with this design by far. I was not planning to reveal the details of the world or races yet, and they still ay change, possibly drastically, before we begin. However, it seemed prudent to show the players what I was thinking about.

Who knows, I might yet decide that we should just play in Faeruun standard setting... Let's all go to Bauldur's Gate!