Looking for a new case....

DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
edited April 2008 in Hardware
I broke the door on my Antec TX1050B, actually three times. :) When I first got it, again after I replaced the front bezel and again after repairing it with crazy glue. It's a flimsy plastic dual hinge now beyond repair, but anyways... I need a replacement case and am looking for recommendations. 3 cases have caught my eye, the Silverstone Temjin TJ10, NZXT Zero ATX and the Coolermaster Cosmos Full Tower. Anyone have any experience with these cases?

I also have a Vantec Nexus fan controller protruding from a floppy bay. It does a good job at micromanaging air-flow, but I need a door to minimize the insane blue glow. Most other components in my sig.

Comments

• edited March 2008
    How about this from newegg ABS Aplus ABS-CS-Monolith Black 89.99 after rebate
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited March 2008
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited March 2008
    I saw that Raidmax O² ATX-302KP, instantly fell in love and was just about to pull the trigger!... When I realized they don't deliver to Canada,, *sigh

But I appreciate the input!
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    I can't comment on any of the mentioned cases, but if it's flimsy doors that be the issue, I can't recommend the Gigabyte 3D Aurora enough. It's the chassis I"m currently using (seen in my sig.) It's one of the most solidly build cases I've ever used, brushed aluminum all around and the front door is solid metal - there is no breaking it unless you use a hammer. And it's held shut by magnets, not clacky cheap clamp there.

Biggest downside? It's expensive - and doesn't include a PSU.
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited March 2008
    Yeah I took a look at that before, it's a solid, good looking little case... But I find it hard to sleep with a blue light show going off on the walls and ceiling. Should have mentioned that before I suppose.
    edited March 2008
    DogSoldier wrote:
    Yeah I took a look at that before, it's a solid, good looking little case... But I find it hard to sleep with a blue light show going off on the walls and ceiling. Should have mentioned that before I suppose.

Good point. I hate "ricer lights" all over my PCs, so I do my best to remove them. The 3D Aurora has a very annoying logo projection on the front (it literally projects the logo onto the desk), and lights the blue bar on front. I've disconnected that LED, so it's a lot less stupid now. The fans still have LEDs in them, but it's very subtle. The only annoying part is the blue HDD cycle LED. It's super bright. I'm working on a solution to lessen the light coming from it.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Lian li cases offer the best quality IMO. I own a a05b its small, but has enough room for full atx board, 3-4 hdd, and a standard atx psu and it cools very well with only 2 120 fans. quiet too.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112130
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    This Rocketfish case from Best Buy (believe it or not) is actually a rebadged Lian Li. Some of the Best Buys have been selling them for $79.
    edited April 2008
    Here's a link to the Lian Li in Rocketfish livery.

If I hadn't just purchased a new case (Cooler Master Stacker 830 as part of a used system) I'd be all over this LianRocketLiFish.
    edited April 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Here's a link to the Lian Li in Rocketfish livery.

If I hadn't just purchased a new case (Cooler Master Stacker 830 as part of a used system) I'd be all over this LianRocketLiFish.

wow way to destroy a nice case by cutting that that hole on the side. those are a great value though
    edited April 2008
    Thought I'd run down to BB at lunch today and check. Sure enough, one LianRocketLiFish left, $71 out the door. There will be some building fun this weekend.
    wow way to destroy a nice case by cutting that that hole on the side.
    I agree. I'll be making the whole bigger and putting in a plexiglass window. (I know that's anathema to some of you.)

I think the Lian Li-branded version of the nearly the same case is the PC-A10B.
    edited April 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Thought I'd run down to BB at lunch today and check. Sure enough, one LianRocketLiFish left, $71 out the door. There will be some building fun this weekend. I agree. I'll be making the whole bigger and putting in a plexiglass window. (I know that's anathema to some of you.)

I think the Lian Li-branded version of the nearly the same case is the PC-A10B.

it doesn't come with that hole. that guy put it there.
    edited April 2008
    Yes, you're right. I took a few minutes' break a while ago and went down to the Jeep and opened the case box. There will be some fun this weekend. :bigggrin:
    edited April 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Yes, you're right. I took a few minutes' break a while ago and went down to the Jeep and opened the case box. There will be some fun this weekend. :bigggrin:

Pics or it never happened!
    edited April 2008
    This weekend after she's appointed with her contents.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2008
    Wow! super cheap Lian-Li PC-A10B :D Looks like they cut some corners on the interior to save a bit of coin, but looks good.
    edited April 2008
    Updated pics here.
    super cheap Lian-Li PC-A10B
    On a second look, no, it's not that case. It's larger. I haven't found the equivalent Lian Li.

If anyone wants one, you need to act fast. These are disappearing every location.

Alright, I've not built a computer into it yet, so these are just early first impressions, good, neutral, and bad - for what it's worth.

Fit & Finish - very nice, anodized (not painted), black aluminum; no sharp edges; lovely craftsmanship on interior components

Quality & Construction: overall, very good; aluminum panels not as rigid as I think they should be, they seem a little flimsy, but perhaps that's an intentional trade-off for weight -- I've owned several aluminum cases, it's remarkable how light this huge case is

Features -- very nice dual ball bearing 120mm fans, don't think they're powerful enough for cooling an overclocked quad system; video card 120mm cooling module - I don't see that it will accomplish much - it's rather anemic, I won't even use it; it needs a removable motherboard tray. A computer case in this class without one? I don't think the frame is strong enough to support a removable tray.

Modifications coming up: remove video card cooling fan/duct unit; install window in side panel, remove one of hard drive cages, replace all the 120mm fans with higher CFM models, remove unnecessary interior fan guards

Coolermaster - OK what does that have to do with RocketLianFishLi? Comparing two full tower all aluminum cases. Overall, I think my Cooler Master CM Stacker 830 is a better design, better construction, and higher grade of aluminum, and more functional. This is definitely not a complaint about the RocketLi. For the clearance price, it was a tremendous value. I could not see though, paying more than $150 for it.

I'll comment later after I build/transfer the computer.
    edited April 2008
    It happened!

Proof of the pudding is in the eating. Take a bite, here.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Pretty sexy case and it's fricking huge! Plenty of room :D I'd reccomend an Antec 900 but you seem to be against lights :tongue: Although it does look pretty good with non-LED fans too