Roleplay vs. Dungeon Crawling?

GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited April 2008 in D&D Supernerd Heaven
What is everyone's preference for roleplay vs. mindless grinding?

Personally, I've always favored the roleplay side of the equation. To me, rolling the dice and checking the rules on hits, damage, etc. is the not-fun part of the game, while the role playing and coming up with creative solutions to situations my character is in is the fun part. Heck, if all I want to do is grind on mobs I'll play a dungeon crawler on the PC! ;)

Every game I've ever DM'd has been roleplay-heavy. Similarly, I've personally enjoyed roleplay-heavy games from other DMs much more than "here's-the-next-monster-now-fight-it" DMs (or games, such as Warhammer Quest). Because of this I was initially a little bit tentative about conforming to the D&D ruleset!

I just wanted to gauge everyone else's preferences, to see exactly what I'm getting myself into and to get a good impression of how well we'll integrate as a play group. Obviously we all get along just fine in RL so I'm not too worried! :bigggrin:

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    80/20 roleplay/grinding, however the grinding should follow the rules because it's generally irritating when it doesn't.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    I like grinding. I don't enjoy roleplaying IRL, maybe because I've never been with a group that's done it right.

Online, the dynamic will be significantly different, plus this is the first time I'm playing with such an experienced group.

Plus, this is the first time I'm playing and not DMing.

But that said, I like mad lootz and I'm excited to deck out my character.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Having a virtual tabletop that's designed to facilitate the rules seems like a good way for me to be much more tolerant of a higher amount of grinding. It's almost as if the online nature of what we're going to do will enhance the experience.

What's your experience with poor roleplaying, Brian?
    edited March 2008
    Maybe uncomfortably bad "Fear of Girls"-type moments, with socially unacceptable people acting in almost frightening ways.

People who take it too seriously. Possibly autistic/asperger's people.

People who, out of game, tell me that they have the reflexes of a NINJA. And try to act appropriately. And uncomfortably.

People with bad acting skills, pretending like they are in a shakespeare play and we are performing at Stratford or something.

You know... Stuff.

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Mp7Ikko8SI&hl=en&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>
    edited March 2008
    Otherwise known as: Complete fail RPers.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Maybe uncomfortably bad "Fear of Girls"-type moments, with socially unacceptable people acting in almost frightening ways.

People who take it too seriously. Possibly autistic/asperger's people.

People who, out of game, tell me that they have the reflexes of a NINJA. And try to act appropriately. And uncomfortably.

People with bad acting skills, pretending like they are in a shakespeare play and we are performing at Stratford or something.

You know... Stuff.

Maybe some of these people should have been LARPing...
    edited March 2008
    I HAVE THE REFLEXES OF A NINJA, CB

What the **** do YOU have? :mean:
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    I feel all awkward now...
    edited March 2008
    HIYAAAAAH!
    edited March 2008
    IF I DON't get THE MAD LOOTZ

I will NINJA YOUR ****ING LEGS OFF, CB
  • CBCB
    bookmarks the 'madlootz' table in the DMG...
    Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    bookmarks the 'madlootz' table in the DMG...
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    50/50 roleplay and grind. Roleplay has always been weak with any group I'm with. They just don't seem to understand that neutral characters need motivation.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited April 2008
    My group has always had strong RP skills and takes great pride in developing a character. They're also equally versed in the mechanics of combat, meaning I can play campaigns something like a book, where combat happens to advance the story rather than existing for the sake of itself.