Best Folding setup for 8 cores

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited April 2008 in Folding@Home
I have a new toy. 2x Xeon E5450s (2ghz) = 8 cores

Windows 2003 64bit

What is the best folding setup for this beast? It will be folding 24/7 for team 93.

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Four instances of the SMP client. Be sure to use the Folding Affinity Changer too!
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    :eek: Nice!
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited March 2008
    I have a new toy. 2x Xeon E5450s (2ghz) = 8 cores

Windows 2003 64bit

What is the best folding setup for this beast? It will be folding 24/7 for team 93.

I thought the E5450s were 3.0GHz?

Regardless- SUHWEET!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Oopsie.. Transposed a 0 and a 5.

E5405 -2ghz, 6mb cache x2
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2008
    I dont know if the Afinity Changer works with that many cores. /shrug. I havent checked for a newer version but it could now. Try what mersesn said.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Woohoo! This should be fun for you to play with and fun for us to watch.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Woohoo! This should be fun for you to play with and fun for us to watch.

^ Mistakenly copied from a random moment of IRC.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited March 2008
    That should kick out some serious PPD! Good luck getting everything up and running!
    edited March 2008
    First fail:

I can't get the deinos MPI or whatever it is to work right, i have a feeling that it's because this is locked down Win2003 Server.

There's something, security-wise, that is bitching this up.

More research needed.
    edited March 2008
    Do you have .NET 2.0 installed?

Here's the easy version.
    edited April 2008
    Yes, I have .net 2 and 3 and all relevant and latest service packs
    edited April 2008
    This is a pretty unusual situation and if it gets much more involved and people here don't know, I'd try to work with the Folding Community Forum. You may be reinventing the thread, but there seems to be people there who have worked this configuration and the loss of the previous forum seems to have wiped a lot of that information (?). You should at least get good references there.

As far as securities, I think that if you are working under a different account than that of the client installation you might have to run install.bat again under the account you wish to run. ? Otherwise, I'm not sure here without more insight. Hopefully this helps.
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited April 2008
    I´d go for the VM setup.... I managed to get a competitor´s folding distro that runs exceptionally good. I can help you out or config it myselff if you grant me remote desktop access to this box.

PM me if you´d like.

UNex.-
    edited April 2008
    I can't really do the VM thing. This is a production domain controller in a production environment. For simplicity and stability's sake I'm pretty close to the decision that I'll just run four instances or even eight instances of standard FAH console.
    edited April 2008
    This is a production domain controller in a production environment. For simplicity and stability's sake I'm pretty close to the decision that I'll just run four instances or even eight instances of standard FAH console.

In which case I have to concur. SMP in this configuration may simply be too maintenance intensive to bother with in a revenue service stream system. Lotsa reasons to keep it as simple as possible- especially if you're doing this for a 3rd party.
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited April 2008
    I can't really do the VM thing. This is a production domain controller in a production environment. For simplicity and stability's sake I'm pretty close to the decision that I'll just run four instances or even eight instances of standard FAH console.

I understand. But the idea of using virtual machines is actually to isolate them from the host, making it more maintenance user friendly. The VMs can be directly administered remotely with a VNC client too.

Also, the SMP client in Linux is more efficient not only in PPD production, but it also consumes less CPU cycles (90-95%) which also relates to a lower power consumption and overall temperature of the entire system.

Anyway, if you change your mind, I will gladly assist, you or anyone who´d like to experiment with this.