Nikon D40 v. Canon Rebel XT

NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
edited April 2008 in Internet & Media
I'm about to invest in my first digital SLR, really I was wondering if I could get some more comparisons on the Nikon end, something I'm not familiar with. I'm fairly comfortable with the Canon's.

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Can't speak for Canons as I'm a Nikon man. Nikon just released the D60, which replaces the D40x. You can only use type AF-S and AF-I lenses, as the D40, D40x, and D60 do not have a built-in drive motor. You cannot use older lenses designed for film and digital if you want auto-focus.

By the way, I will have a D50 available for sale soon. It has the auto-focus drive motor so you can use older lenses with it. I'll give you an IC discount.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Kwitko wrote:
    Can't speak for Canons as I'm a Nikon man. Nikon just released the D60, which replaces the D40x. You can only use type AF-S and AF-I lenses, as the D40, D40x, and D60 do not have a built-in drive motor. You cannot use older lenses designed for film and digital if you want auto-focus.

By the way, I will have a D50 available for sale soon. It has the auto-focus drive motor so you can use older lenses with it. I'll give you an IC discount.

PM me price range/what it comes with.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Nomad wrote:
    I'm about to invest in my first digital SLR, really I was wondering if I could get some more comparisons on the Nikon end, something I'm not familiar with. I'm fairly comfortable with the Canon's.

From what I gather, they're expensive. Hope that helps in your comparison shopping!
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Nomad wrote:
    PM me price range/what it comes with.
    YGPM
    NiGHTS wrote:
    From what I gather, they're expensive. Hope that helps in your comparison shopping!
    Depends what your definition of expensive is.