Worried about static.....

BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
edited April 2008 in Hardware
Hey I took my video card out and put it in a aired out zip lock bag and gently put it in my closet, I didn't close the bag.

I am now extremely paranoid, does a static shock completley destroy a video card if it happens? or if I plug it in and it works fine means its ok and unharmed?

I removed it and wrapped it in a kitchen towel Im just still ordering parts.... so by friday I will be able to tell... :(

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    It should be fine. Static can ruin your card, sure, but it usually takes a pretty good shock.

Storing the card in the silvery static bags that you get with most PC hardware is your best bet.
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited April 2008
    So is it possible that when I put the card back in and it runs, it could still be damaged? Or is it all or nothing with a potential shock and that It wouldnt run at all
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    It can be partially damaged, but I wouldn't really worry about it. In order to generate static on plastic there has to be some sort of friction. In this case, the bag is just chillaxin' there, doin' nothing.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I would also add that I don't think wrapping it in a kitchen towel is the best method if you're worried about static. Just stick with the plastic bag.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2008
    As mentioned, the silver anti-static bags are the best. The time you need to be most careful is during handling. Don't worry about grounded wrist-straps or anything.. just make sure you touch something grounded before you handle the card. Any easy way to do this is to touch the computer's power supply casing while its plugged into the wall (just make sure to unplug it again when you begin working inside the PC).

I'm sure it'll be fine.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Just don't rub it on the cat.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I am now extremely paranoid, does a static shock completley destroy a video card if it happens?
    Yes and no. A static shock can destroy a video card. I did that once what across a carpet, holding a video card, then touching something metal. Although the static short was between my hand the metal object, the card was fried. Is it possible to damage a video card with a static discharge but not ruin it completely. I don't know, but I'd imagine if the card will post and you don't notice anything wrong, then there probably is no damage.

Don't store it in a plastic bag. As others wrote, use an anti-static bag. If not that, put it in a cardboard box or paper bag.

My guess is
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited April 2008
    Mmm, i keep all my anti static bags just incase i need em... As long as you don't go jogging in a supermarket wearing nylon clothes holding your graphics card i'm sure you'll be fine. =)
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited April 2008
    Hmmm... Ok.

I'll just get some anti static bags for next time then.

Thanks for the replies I think I feel a bit more at ease, I will just leave it in the kitchen towel for the time being. And hopfully the rest of my parts come tommorow.