Sun 20 Apr 08 - First Session

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited April 2008 in D&D Supernerd Heaven
Sorry about the delays. :( My sicknesses are gone (or medicated) now, and I can finally concentrate on getting this done. :) I can be ready to go on the 20th.

The beginning of the session will be used for rolling out everyone's stats (the only part of character creation that you cannot do without the DM. We'll use the new standard methor described in the PHB, I like that system better than past methods), and then we'll begin the first adventure.

Sometime within the next few days, I'll be posting details about the campaign world, so that you can start developing your characters. I just have a few more details to flesh out before it's ready to present.

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Which virtual desktop are we using? We need to be all set and tested in advance of the date.

Hopefully my PHB arrives in time! Amazon claims shipment will be on the 14th. I didn't realize it was on backorder when I bought it. :(
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Woot.

Fantasy Grounds? Are we all pooling money and having one person buy a discount pack? Who do I give money to?

Can't wait! I'm so excited to play! Thanks, CB!
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Which virtual desktop are we using? We need to be all set and tested in advance of the date.

Hopefully my PHB arrives in time! Amazon claims shipment will be on the 14th. I didn't realize it was on backorder when I bought it. :(

I still haven't gotten a chance to actually test FG with anyone. I'd like to do that before we all buy it.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    When do you want to test it? I'm available pretty much every evening...
    edited April 2008
    Amazon told me they shipped my PHB on the 9th via USPS so it should be here today!
    edited April 2008
    GASP

I just realized the new TF2 content will be out on the 20th! Oh fail!

Oh well. D&D first, and then after the session is over, We'll go on a medic rampage :p
    edited April 2008
    Well, they said around the 20th, so who knows...
    edited April 2008
    This is valve time, remember. ;)
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Sorry guys, there's a pretty decent chance I'm going to be forced to miss this Sunday's session. I have a team report due Monday and my team is made of procrastinators. I was hoping to motivate them to work on it earlier but it's not looking like that'll happen. Any chance I can meet online with you CB and roll my character sooner?

-drasnor :fold:
    edited April 2008
    I don't want to start the campaign on a night that we don't have every one in attendance. Even if we have weeks later on that players miss, the first week is too important.

So, here's what we'll do. This Sunday will be our 'precampaign' session. We'll all meet to roll out the characters, and finalize their back stories to help them mesh with the beginning of the Campaign. I'll reveal the situation that the characters will be starting in at that time, and characters can think about that for a week before the prologue actually begins.

It will also give us a chance to iron out any complications with communications and connections, as well as test the limits of Skype and FG, and make sure everything does what we think it will do.

Sometime between that Sunday and the next, Drew and I will roll out his character, and I'll give him the information that I gave everyone else.
    edited April 2008
    That probably works best. I'm going to need a little guidance with Fantasy Grounds, because I found the interface to be completely unintuitive. It took me fifteen minutes to figure out how to roll multiple dice. Also, the fact that you have to right click and "axe" every window to close it is driving me insane. This is a Windows application, how about they give us some minimize and close buttons!
    edited April 2008
    ugh I agree with GH. So far my experience with FG has been buttawful. I hate it. It is utterly unintuitive, not to mention the nightmare I had installing it.

Anyways, I'm committed to learning it. I tried to use it last night to create my kids' character sheets for our own little home campaign but Kyle was almost in tears last night after trying for 20 minutes to get his sheet filled out and then accidentally losing it somehow.

Ugh.
    edited April 2008
    I agree that it has a bit of a learning curve, but once you learn it it is awesome. For example: It's not clear right away how to enter numbers in fields, which seems silly. Then, you learn that you can change the number in any field that you have access to but simply hovering over the field and rolling the mouse wheel. That is cool and really easy.
    edited April 2008
    Maybe that's why they don't allow you to use the num pad? :rolleyes:

BUT WHY AREN'T THERE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE PROGRAM IF IT'S GOING TO BE SO UNINTUITIVE?
    edited April 2008
    Actually, there is a fairly well written, easy to follow manual on-line:

http://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide/
    edited April 2008
    This website is blocked by Fidelity. ;)

My only resource for D&D-related info while I'm at work is this forum and Wikipedia. :-/

Does the user guide happen to mention why they made their program defy every UI standard we as a species have been familiar with since Windows 3.0? :p
    edited April 2008
    The BACKSPACE KEY doesn't work. Wtf.
    edited April 2008
    The BACKSPACE KEY doesn't work. Wtf.

When you mistype a word, instead of BACKSPACE, you hover the mouse over the word, right-click, click on the slingshot, scroll through the UTF-8 characterset until you reach the letter you wanted instead, right-click again, click on the picture that looks like a dove eating cabbage, and the word will correct and you can continue typing.

Duh! :tongue:

Of course, I didn't figure it out soon enough, so my character is a "Hunan".
    edited April 2008
    I had hunan chicken once.

Or was it human chicken?
    edited April 2008
    Did Joe ever decide if he was taking the starting package or starting gold?
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Yea, I rolled, and got crap... I started with 10gp...