Drive destruction!!!!!

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
edited April 2008 in Hardware
Yesterday I helped my friend destry a bunch of HD's, old floppys and CDR's with sensitive data that needed complete annhilation. I drilled all the HD's and some of the floppys and sawed the remaining floppys and all the CDR's. With 22 HD's I kept thinking there had to be a better way and came up with a plan for next time. I'm going to stack the HD's and shoot them! Does anyone know how many HD's can be penetrated by a 185gr 40 S&W FMJ? :cool2:

Comments

• redchiefredchief Santa Barbara Member
    edited April 2008
    There's a "private" range off of 1441 that you could use, and maybe a crew or 2 to help.. It make take cap, ball, and black powder!

BP
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited April 2008
    Just use Thermite
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    There is almost nothing a 16 pound sledgehammer cannot do.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    mas0n wrote:
    There is almost nothing a 16 pound sledgehammer cannot do.

Including breaking a sweat! Which is more than I wish to do when it's in the 90's outside. :bigggrin:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    185gr 40 S&W
    What, not a 30.06 or 7mm Magnum rifle with 166 or 170-grain bullets? About three times the impact energy of the wittle handgun. (but you already knew that)
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Bucket of water is super easy, and super cheap to use. They would also likely not survive a trip to the landfill in a compressor truck if your neighborhood uses those.
    edited April 2008
    They would also likely not survive a trip to the landfill in a compressor truck
    Oh yes they would, as long as fluids did not enter the hard drive casings. The data on the platters would still most likely be recoverable.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited April 2008
    Well you're not supposed to throw computer components away, since they contain lead, and most likely still contain mercury. Your 40SW would probably do two at the best.
    edited April 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    What, not a 30.06 or 7mm Magnum rifle with 166 or 170-grain bullets? About three times the impact energy of the wittle handgun. (but you already knew that)

OOooohhhh, the ideas this gives me!

.....since I do own a custom rifle chambered in 470 Capstick. It fires a 500gr .475 dia bullet @ 2360fps. If I use a monolitic solid I can likely shoot HD's by the box load. :D
    edited April 2008
    Mt_Goat wrote:
    OOooohhhh, the ideas this gives me!

.....since I do own a custom rifle chambered in 470 Capstick. It fires a 500gr .475 dia bullet @ 2360fps. If I use a monolitic solid I can likely shoot HD's by the box load. :D
    "Ooooohhh" is right, that's it, I'm flying down to go to the range with you! I'll bring my shoulder pad and safety glasses.
    It fires a 500gr .475 dia bullet @ 2360fps.
    If I read in the news about freight train locomotives mysteriously being disabled while crossing Texas I'll know what happened. :eek:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    When is this shindig going down? I sense a gathering in the works!

Do you think Delta will let me bring my SKS?
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    If the shindig goes down make sure the pics are up on #Icrontic by midnight on the day.
    edited April 2008
    I don't know if one of those projectiles could do much to stop a train. And I don't think I care to endure the legal ramifications of trying! But I have shot through 5 junk cars with no sign of the slug!

Leo, you are more than welcome to join me at the range.