External Power On

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited April 2008 in Hardware
I want to put my laptop away so I have an external Display and Keyboard/mouse to use it as a desktop. But if I do that I'll have to pull it out, open up and press the power button. I am curious if anyone knows some device I could use to do this differently?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Can't you just set it to hibernate, to be put back into running state by mouse movement of keyboard? Wouldn't that accomplish the same thing?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2008
    Could always take it apart, attach cables to the button connections and extend it outside if the case. /shrug
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I've gotta figure something out... but things may change now. Today it turned off on it's own, while checking on things I found out that it over heated. It's reaching 80C on the readings I am getting, OUCH. I've checked to make sure nothing is preventing it from cooling off, I guess it's just a HOT laptop in a hot area :(

Hell, in a well ventilated area it's hot as hell... always has been. Which is why I don't want to use it as a laptop anymore.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited April 2008
    Ok, then get a slew of 5v 80mm fans from those cooling kits. Mount them to cycle air around the laptop, and raise it up slightly with some type of grill or something that will allow air to cycle around the laptop and under it. Here, tell me the types of dimensions you're working with and I'll design up something.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Ok, then get a slew of 5v 80mm fans from those cooling kits. Mount them to cycle air around the laptop, and raise it up slightly with some type of grill or something that will allow air to cycle around the laptop and under it. Here, tell me the types of dimensions you're working with and I'll design up something.

I'm thinking of just buying a laptop cooler, they're like $20.

Also to Leo, Ubuntu seems to have issues right now with Hybernating and Sleeping with certain laptops.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    The laptop coolers don't work.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I have yet to read anything other than marketing blather that shows any laptop cooler accomplishes much.

But then, there's this effective cooler. It's a shame one has to go to such lengths to actually accomplish better cooling.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    doh... no breaks for me

Leo, I was actually thinking back to that article earlier... the reason my lappy is getting so hot is 1) it's hot upstairs in my room 2) the laptop is already hot as hell on its own 3) it's put away like you would put away a DVD player in my TV stand.

So yeah, not much going for me on this. I might just make a little nest for it off to the side, this way I can open it and it gets more air. I might use something like a crate which will give it more air from the bottom as well.
  • edited April 2008
    You could always try opening it up and cleaning it out.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    RWB wrote:
    I've gotta figure something out... but things may change now. Today it turned off on it's own, while checking on things I found out that it over heated. It's reaching 80C on the readings I am getting, OUCH. I've checked to make sure nothing is preventing it from cooling off, I guess it's just a HOT laptop in a hot area :(

Hell, in a well ventilated area it's hot as hell... always has been. Which is why I don't want to use it as a laptop anymore.

Thanks though... I have even put AS5 on there.