More fans in my computer = less dust?

BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
edited April 2008 in Hardware
Currently the only fans I got in it are the heatsink for the processor, the hard drive cooling fan. But no other fans in terms of side fans or anything like that.

I am concerned about dust, now if I add more fans to push the air in my case would there be less or more dust? and show I put back on all PCI-slots?

The PCI bracket slots I took off for air to get in... but.. I dont know :)

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    The fans COULD pull in more dust in a dusty area. BUT, usually the air flow benefits outweigh the dust gathering detriments.

Put the PCI slot covers back on, please.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    From my understanding, more airflow will generally produce more opportunity for dust to get into your case. But as straight_man said it's usually the preferred route to take.
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited April 2008
    Hmm ok.

I'll add a fan in there and cover the slot covers.

I am guessing the least dusty solution would be water cooling then? Or do they still get dusty. I dont think water cooling computers use any fans at all?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    It's very simple:

Given dust and lint in the immediate environmental air, more air volume - air passing through the case, will result in more dust and lint accumulation in said case. Less air volume passing through the case will mean less foreign particle accumulation.

It's a battle I've been fighting for years, through countless experiments: filters, lower flow fans, computer higher off the flow, room air filters...

It's a war in which you can win battles but which will never end! arrrgggghhh
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    More fans mean less dust settles, but more gets sucked in in the first place :tongue:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    More fans mean less dust settles...
    I wish that were true. The more air flowing the computer, the more dust accumulates on everything inside the computer.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Well I guess it depends on the quality of the airflow, faster airflow means dust is more likely to be affected by differences in air current and then settle in a little corner out of the way, but dust that goes with the flow usually goes in and out :tongue: ...I think
    edited April 2008
    Anyone know where I can order some PCI Slot covers? I seem to be missing 2.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Bubbleman wrote:
    Anyone know where I can order some PCI Slot covers? I seem to be missing 2.

Depends on what type of case you have.
    I've got 5-7 cases, and almost all take different type of PCI Slot covers.
    You probably will have to do a visual comparison at whatever online store you find selling them.
    If they're for a Dell machine. (as in your Sig)...
    You could probably get them for your model from the Dell online store.
    Another idea is check with all your pc building friends.
    They may have just what you need laying around in parts boxes.
    As far as dust getting into your pc...
    I don't worry about it much.
    I just use canned air every 2-3 mnths to blow the dust out of all my pc's..
    Then I do an extensive cleaning every 6 mnths...(all purpose cleaner on damp cloth) to remove stuck on dust and dirt from fans, heat sinks, etc.
    The benefit of extra airflow/more fans for lower temps far outweighs the dust worries IMO.
    If your really worried about dust you could buy fans with filters.
    I have a couple cases that have filtered fans.
    But, Realize, You have to clean the filters every month or two.
    Depending on how fast they get dirty.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Bubbleman wrote:
    Hmm ok.

I'll add a fan in there and cover the slot covers.

I am guessing the least dusty solution would be water cooling then? Or do they still get dusty. I dont think water cooling computers use any fans at all?

Um, yes they do for most setups. The fans cool the water in the heat exchanger.:smiles:
  • edited April 2008
    Dell Dim 4600 with 2.66 will (should) be running as cool as a cumcumber. Put your pic slats back on - there is enough airflow from seams/gaps in the case to cope with your DD & CD/DVD + case volume with std cpu cooler more than adequate. Less air=less dust. But is dust the only concern?
    edited April 2008
    Anyone know a silent case fan I could get from newegg, I am looking for scilence but something that can push some air.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Bubbleman wrote:
    Anyone know a silent case fan I could get from newegg, I am looking for scilence but something that can push some air.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185005

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185006

S-FDB FTW.
    edited April 2008
    Ahh awesome, Yeah I was just looking at those. They should do nicely.