The Book of The Isles of the Sun

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited January 2009 in D&D Supernerd Heaven
Here is the current version of the setting description. It still needs some more detail and editing, but it should be finished enough to let the players make informed decisions about their characters.

You may create a background for your character, but this is not required. If you do: make sure you remember that these are Lvl1 characters. They are exceptional people, but entirely inexperienced, so any background should really only include family, home-town, and reason for adventuring. You also don't know quite where you will be starting out in the world or in the story, but you will all be starting in the same place (I wont be doing the thing that some DMs do of spending the first 10 sessions getting the PCs to meet one-another), so leave your background open for whatever position you might find yourself in at the beginning of the story.

Feel free to post questions here.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Yay!
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    LOL @ epic fail. ;D

Also, can you tell us more about the humans that populate these Isles?

I think I also need to know more about the trade patterns and shipping methodologies of the archipelago.

Do the humans of the Isles use surnames? What naming conventions do they follow in that locale?
    edited April 2008
    I'm thinking that the thread didn't notify you of new content when I added my questions to my existing post...
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    GHoosdum wrote:
    I'm thinking that the thread didn't notify you of new content when I added my questions to my existing post...
    truth
    GHoosdum wrote:
    can you tell us more about the humans that populate these Isles?

Humans follow the rules and features from the PHB.
    I think I also need to know more about the trade patterns and shipping methodologies of the archipelago.
    It's actually two archipelagos which intersect (not tectonically possible, I know) to form a sort-of trident shape, with the base in the south east, which is where the Humans, and the other Allied Races, settled. They are thusly ideally situated for trade. Most of the trade routes go to and from the Human islands, although some go through Fallen islands. Even these are still mostly run by Human merchants, many of whom live out their entire lives on the water.

I would show you what I mean in more detail (the maps do already exist which show that kind-of detail), but your characters don't have a map in their possession which shows this stuff yet. They'll need to find or buy a trade map before they get a real clear picture of how the trade flows between islands. Even if your character IS a merchant or sailor, he would still only be innately familiar with his own one or two trade routes.
    Do the humans of the Isles use surnames? What naming conventions do they follow in that locale?
    Human names vary wildly with no real 'standard' tradition of naming. Same use family surnames, some use 'son of' style surnames, some use their profession as a surname, some use no surnames at all. The only convention of naming that seems to be universal with Humans is that their surname comes after their given name.
    edited April 2008
    Cool, thanks. I was wondering if the humans that colonized the isles may have come from a unified background, but it makes sense for play purposes to keep them as varied as the game rules make them out to be.
    edited April 2008
    GHoosdum wrote:
    Cool, thanks. I was wondering if the humans that colonized the isles may have come from a unified background, but it makes sense for play purposes to keep them as varied as the game rules make them out to be.

400 years is a long time for humans, especially of Iron Age technology. If they did come from a unified background, they don't remember it anymore, and have diversified as humans are apt to do.

Also, and this is for everyone, remember that your character's background, goals, and motivations are not a secret from the DM. You are encouraged to work with me on your character. The more I know about your character, the more likely that she will have the opportunities to fulfill her goals. In fact, I will be frequently asking for updates about your character's frame of mind during the campaign. :)
    edited April 2008
    New version of The Book of The Isles of the Sun:

Changes:
    Non-rule changes:
    - Several small readability changes.
    - Moved the stats adjustment section to after the escription for each race.
    - Gave names to the racial bonuses and penalties which did not yet have them, then emboldened all of the names to make the bonus numbers stand out.
    - Rewrote all features dealing with tails to clarify their use.
    - Changed the wording of the Epic Success/Fail house rules to make them clearer, and more similar to one another.
    <o>
    </o> Rule changes:
    - Improved <st1:city><st1>Bend</st1></st1:city> to the Light for Shay.
    - Removed the improved swimming checks from the Shay
    - Removed crossbows from the automatic proficiencies for Lynx, and added a free Exotic Weapons: Lynx proficiency.
    - Added Inept Fingers to the Lynx
    - Changed the Early Training bonus for Drakes to apply only to males.
    - Added Light-footed bonus to female Drakes
    - Improved Scaly Skin for Drakes
    - Increased penalty for Bad Depth Perception for male Drakes.
    - Increased penalty for Weak Upper-Body for female Drakes.
    - Modified Pelor’s Gift for The Fallen, so that it applied to all classes.
    - Increased bonus for Dogmatic Foe for The Fallen.
    - Added Natural Beauty to Fallen features.
    - Added Myopic to The Fallen features
    - Added Meditative to The Trodden features
    - Changed Martial Training feature for The Trodden (it now gives Dodge for free instead of Spring Attack)
    edited April 2008
    New version:

Rule Changes:
    -Corrected error in Trodden stats: +3 CON should have been +3 WIS. Now it is.
    -Added Knowledge Warnings to the House Rules
    edited April 2008
    I'm doing so many versions because I feel you guys would like to see the changes as I make them, rather than presenting you with all the changes at once on Sunday when v1.0 will be ready.

Non-Rule Changes
    - Added a Notes and Advice section for clarification of house rules and other concepts.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    CB, using FG2's library function, can we put the BotIotS in it? Would that make your book searchable and easily accessible in-game?
    edited April 2008
    I think all you need to do is convert it to XML and then import it into FG2.
    edited April 2008
    I want to do it, but in order to make it more than just a string of text, I need to learn a little bit more about XML.

I also want to add some monsters to the monster collection that it comes with, so I'll need to figure it out for that anyway. It's on my list, but it's not a high priority.
    edited April 2008
    Massive new version. I went a little crazy. :/

You'll want to check out the new feats. Also note, if you didn't already, that the ToC is a list of links. use Ctrl-click to jump to that section of the document.

Non-Rule Changes:
    - Small clarification to Politics
    - Added Calendar and Cosmology section
    - Completely rewrote the general Religions section for clarity.
    - Added chart to help Drake characters choose color based on alignment.
    - Clarified the Lynx physical description.
    <o></o>
    Rule Changes:
    - Modified the Fallen feature Dogmatic Foe to include followers of Nerull.
    - Added Unique Feats section.
    - Added Unique Skills section.
    edited April 2008
    Did you say you were releasing a new version with the stuff we talked about on Sunday night?
    edited April 2008
    Soon, yes. It's also exam week for me, so I'm fitting stuff in sideways right now. I'd really like to take a look at the 3.5 update doc before I release v1.0, but it's still not here.
    edited April 2008
    Version 1.0 released:

Non-rule changes:
    - Added Q&A section
    - Changed name of House Rules section to Campaign Rules
    - Added Weapon Proficiency info to the Feats section
    - Added Other Races to the Races section
    - Added On Rolls Behind the Screen and Open Water v. Underwater to the Notes section
    - Reversed order of Versions section, so that newer versions are listed first

Rule Changes:
    -Added Maritime Setting and Familiars of The Isles to the Campaign Rules section.
    - Made the Fallen feature Susceptibility to The Temptation of The Hater of Life less restrictive and more clearly explained.

Note: after looking at the way the skill chart changed for 3.5, I understand why they made the decision to remove class restrictions on skills, and I'm changing my mind about using the 3.0 restrictions. I also decided to only require a declaration of axis dominance if a character is True Neutral, and since no one is True Neutral in the party, I left the rule out of the book for now.
    edited January 2009
    Version 1.1:

Non-Rule Changes:
    - Added map of kingdoms to the Geography section
    - Corrected wording in Epic Fail house rule
    - Clarified Drake colors in the Drakes section

Rule Changes:
    - Changed Multi-classing house rule to reflect recent discussions.
    - Updated Skills to reflect v3.5 rules.
    edited January 2009
    Okay. The whole book is on the wiki now:

http://tinyurl.com/theisles

As of now the wiki is just the info that was in the book, but I'll expand it as I have time.
    </pre>