Realtemp

mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
edited May 2008 in Hardware
Check it:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2809778

here are my results on a warm Texas afternoon, ambient of 25.8C with the Q6600 dropped to 3.6GHz

realtemp.jpg

I remain quite skeptical, but it looks like this guy may be on to something. It's certainly at least worth looking into. Discuss.

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited April 2008
    If we actually knew the Tj, Max of the chips...

Core Temp reports mine as 100c, Real Temp- 85c. Temp difference for me is the same 15c difference between the two.

FWIW, Core Temp and the BIOS read the same. Who knows what's right. At least it's not shutting down.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    100c? Wow.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    That's what we were saying last night. Intel obviously knows what the Tjmax is for their chips; they release this data for the mobile CPUs. Instead we are left guessing with the desktop CPUs.

Donut, what CPU was that with? It looks like there is a 5C difference with Kentsfield and a 10C difference with Yorkfield. 15C is massive and really makes you wonder who's correct.

I'm still inclined to believe CoreTemp, but there looks to be a growing following for RealTemp, especially among those using 45nm Intels.
  • edited April 2008
    I'm in the mind of believing Real Temp on the 45nm procs myself. I don't think that the Tj max for the 45nm procs is correct on Core Temp, but like you said mas0n, it's all just a guess since Intel won't say what their actual Tj max is on the desktop processors. I do know that the 45nm Intels do have a stuck diode problem on both the quads and dual core models though. There is one core that reports consistently lower temps on my QX.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited April 2008
    Harudath wrote:
    100c? Wow.

Sorry, Tj. Max is reported at that, not my cpu temps.;)

This is on my B3 rev, Q6600.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I only trust realtemp now with my 45nm for accurate reports and it seems to be what most other people are saying that is giving the most accurate, checked with IR thermometer in two cases to prove a point.
  • boricua9215boricua9215 Hollywood, FL.
    edited May 2008
    That program doesn't support an AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-core :(
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    This is on my B3 rev, Q6600.
    The best educated guesses, which I assume to be fairly accurate, say the TJMax for B3 is 85C and 100C for the G0.