Random Freezing

edited April 2008 in Hardware
Hi, I have waited a while to post this (I didnt want to disturb anyone) but I have been getting more annoyed each day and of each passing minute I have left my computer on.

The problem is for some strange reason, after a certain amount of time (which I have yet to calculate), my computer freezes. I have a fairly powerful PC and something as simple as a computer freeze annoys me. My story is that when I come home, I turn on my computer, check my email(nothing too fancy, I dont play games alot anymore) and such for around 20 minutes then slowly I can hear my PC "accelerating" (like when a car accelerates it goes from quiet to loud), there is a low hum and 5 to 10 minutes later, my PC freezes and I get blue screen and my computer restarts but I have to wait 5 minutes because of a "Disk Read Error". I have posted this before but before my computer was freezing when I was running a high-performance program and the cause of this was my hard drive was overheating. Now I do not think it is my hard drive alone, my fans are getting louder and louder as each passing second. I am annoyed because I can play on my computer for 30 minutes at most then it freezes and I have to wait for around 10 minutes.

And I have to post this quick because my computer is getting pretty loud.
My specs are:
M2N - 32 SLI DELUXE
PSU : 600 WATT NOISETAKER
5400+ AMD X2 DUAL CORE
10K RAPTOR WD HARD DRIVE 75GB
8800 GTS NVIDIA BFG
RAIDMAX CASE
1.5 GIG RAM OCZ
Stock CPU fans
Stock Case Fans

Further Note:
One side of my case has a fan mounted on it and the fan recently broke. I have YET to get this fixed, I have unscrewed the side off and left it off.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    The increasing noise is an indicator your system is overheating. What you are hearing is the motherboard causing the fan speeds to increase as the system starts to heat up.

Open the case and look at the heatsinks and fans. Are they becoming full of dust and lint? If they are dirty, clean them out. Also, is your computer positioned in a part of the room with poor ventilation, such as a corner under a desk?

Run your computer without the case side and see if the problem persists.

BTW, very good job describing the problem.

EDIT: Ooh, just notice about the case side being off. My guess is that your room is much warmer now than a couple months ago due to the onset of spring and summer. Is there a cooler location you can test it in to help determine if heat is determining freeze factor?
  • edited April 2008
    Thanks for the quick reply

Most of my fans are super dusty and I have just cleaned them out. Even so, I have the same problem.
    Yes my computer is positioned in this "desk box" from ikea, it is surrounded closely by wood on the top, sides, bottom and back so the only opening is the front. I have moved my computer to my room where there is much more ventilation. This problem still persists, after 20-30 minutes of checking my email and such, my computer sounds like it is "accelerating".

I have been running my computer without its side for a while now

Should I just get a new case?
    Would this fix the problem?
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited April 2008
    That's a good start- but check one more thing. AMD stock CPU HSFs I've had are great at hiding air circulation blockages. If yours is like mine ...

attachment.php?attachmentid=25258&stc=1&d=1208624110

... the cooling pipes are great clogging points inside the densely packed fins. Remove the fan and and check to see if you can see them like this -

attachment.php?attachmentid=25259&stc=1&d=1208624106

If not, blow them out with compressed air until you do. At this point you may want to consider reseating it on your CPU with new thermal paste.

Hope that helps-
  • edited April 2008
    Should I just get a new heatsink?

How many decibels is the stock fan?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2008
    How about posting some CPU temperatures first before buying anything although thats the leading culprit most of us are guessing.
    edited April 2008
    willman32 wrote:
    Should I just get a new heatsink?

How many decibels is the stock fan?

William, the AMD stock HSF shown (if yours is the same) is an excellent cooler. It is even good for a moderate amount of overclocking. Since it seems that you don't overclock- this is a very adequate unit and the purpose of an aftermarket HSF would be lost on you. If you're worried about it clogging all the time, trust me, you'll have to worry about that with ANY HSF. Doing periodic cleaning is recommended for any system ... it's just that this one hides the problem better than most.

As far as decibels- I don't have the information for that CPU HSF or anything to compare it with. I will say that a hotter CPU = faster fan = louder fan.
  • edited April 2008
    Oh sorry, forgot to post the temps.

Speedfan says:
    Temp1: 61C
    Temp2: 53C
    Temp3: 55C
    CPU: 0C (INACCURATE READING)
    Internal Temp: 104C (Inaccurate)
    Remote Temp: 0C
    HD 0: 30C
    Temp1: 40C
    Core: 60C

Ive had the stock heatsink for 2.5 years now. My raidmax case is a dust collector and I can see little pockets of dust in my heatsink which I have just cleaned out. My computer isnt freezing every 30 minutes now, It freezes around every hour.
    edited April 2008
    To get your CPU temp, try Core Temp. It should show it.
    If it still doesn't show, check your BIOS (likely under the Power|Hardware Monitor menu) and see if the temp is being sensed at all.
  • edited April 2008
    Hey guys

Sorry for the late reply!

My computer finally died.
    2 Days ago, I tried to turn on my computer but it turns itself off 2 - 3 seconds after. It is quieter than usual and it doesnt reach POST and it dies off.

I do not know what is wrong. I cant get into the BIOS to change anything.
  • edited April 2008
    Sorry I forgot to mention, all fans work
    It turns on as if it was a normal boot but it turns itself on and it is quieter than a normal boot.
    edited April 2008
    Eeeewww- not good- sorry to hear this.

It's tempting to say the system board has died, but it is possible that one of of the other components has gone and is making its life difficult- and that's why a few checks might isolate something else.

Try resetting the BIOS. Does the behavior change?

Try removing/replacing things, if you can, one a a time and see if there is a change (like the board suddenly POSTs). Restore them if there is not. You may need a friends/family help here to borrow some things.

Try another power supply.
    Try your memory one stick at a time.
    Try disconnecting the optical drive.
    Try disconnecting the hard drive.
    Swap the video card with another working one if you can.
    etc.

Restore the device if there is no change. Others may think of something too.

Looking at your system (which, btw, looks pretty nice), is the mobo still under warranty? Many of your other components could be still covered (I believe the Raptor has a 5-year). You would want to contact the manufacturer (ASUS, I believe, for that mobo), follow any troubleshooting procedure they recommend and exercise your RMA options if necessary.
  • edited April 2008
    TY for the quick reply. :D

After a long day of swapping components, I have found the major reason.

You are correct, it is the board. I had to reset CMOS by taking the battery out for 5 minutes but I think there is very little life left in the board. I have to reset CMOS everytime I restart (NOT GOOD) which wastes my time.

What are my possibilities? Do I toss the board out? Do I keep it? Do I replace the battery?

This sucks, I spent alot of money on everything BUT the case and the case:
    Overheats
    MAJOR dust magnet (3 cutips just to clean the cpu fan and I reused the cutips alot)
    NOISY!!!
    The fan breaks easily (the one on the side)

The case was around 80 dollars and it was not worth it (Raidmax Ninja)
    And it came with a lousy stinky 400w PSU which I tossed out.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Replace the CMOS battery. You can get 'em for <$5. That may just solve the problem.
  • edited April 2008
    Yeah I replaced my CMOS battery.

It works almost fine now.

I just get annoying prompts from firefox asking me if entering the site is O.K.

But the rest is fine, Thank you everyone
    edited April 2008
    I glad that it turned out to be the least of all the possibilities. :thumbsup:

As for your FF problem- I have no idea but you may have an add-on that may be over-zealous in its security. You might try posting here.