Mah pages be loadin slow!

GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz QueenMountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
edited April 2008 in Internet & Media
Hey team,

For some reason lately all of the internet pages I visit are loading extremely slowly. I thought at first that this was a problem with the ISP, (we've had a lot of issues with them before, damn comcast) but I've been speakeasy speed testing a lot lately, and my speed normally comes up somewhere between 5-10 mbps, or even 15 mbps sometimes. Also, my ping for TF2 has been great lately- it was like 30 for me last night, which as a lot of you know, is awesome good for me.

Ryder and Drasnor had me do some diagnostic things- (I know how to put in command prompts now! Yay!) They had me clear my DNS pool, do a tracert, and check my ping on several sites. I had 0% packet loss and they told me my tracert results were fine. My BF claims that the slowness is cuz I have too much crap running all of the time, but while I was doing all of this testing my computer was only at 50% processor use (from folding). My router is also old (I'm getting a new one but it hasn't come yet) but would that really be the problem if the speed test says the internet is fast and I'm not losing packets?

I thank you in advance for any help :D

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    You could try a different DNS server. OpenDNS.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I recommend Blackhawk's suggestion. DNS is what allows you to type in a web address, instead of an IP address, and it seems like all the ISP DNS servers suck now.

Mine certainly does.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Spy's sappin' my internet.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2008
    Too much pr0n!
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Use 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2, and 4.2.2.3 as your DNS servers. They're wicked fast.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Could anyone do that or is it location dependant? I don't know much about this subject.

EDIT: I tried it anyway... I don't know whether it's coincidence but we're paying for the 2mbit broadband package and after putting in that DNS speedtest.net came up with 5mb+. I took it again and it's showing 4.6

261722334.png
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Anyone can do it but it's also kinda location dependent. AFAIK, OpenDNS servers are located in the US and you usually need a low latency DNS server. Trying googling for the DNS server IP's of the bigger ISP's in your area.