saved paper to temp file, now gone

the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1Indy Icrontian
edited April 2008 in Hardware
So I opened this paoper from my email, typed about 8 pages, saved it, thinking it was ont he desktop, and it wasn't.

It was in C:\Documents and Settings\Dan\Local Settings\Temp. I've since rebooted.

Any chance? paper's due in 4 hours, I spent the afternoon finishing it. :(

I'm running Get Data Back for NTFS right now, any chance someone knows a trick or two?

:(:(:(:(:(:(

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    If you opened it from Outlook, it might still be in the "extra hidden" OLK## folder where ## is a random number assigned by Outlook. You can't just browse to the folder in the temp directory. If you know the folder name, you can enter it in the address bar, and it'll open.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Cyclonite wrote:
    If you opened it from Outlook, it might still be in the "extra hidden" OLK## folder where ## is a random number assigned by Outlook. You can't just browse to the folder in the temp directory. If you know the folder name, you can enter it in the address bar, and it'll open.

I opened it straight out of gmail.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Ick. I'm not sure it exists anymore.
    edited April 2008
    almost done re-typing. re-typed paper is average, and half as long as orig.

:(
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Sorry for suggesting the obvious, but did you do a Windows "Search" function for it? Assuming it's Word, if the title search doesn't find it, try *.doc.

I'm sure you already tried. I just had to mention it.
    edited April 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Sorry for suggesting the obvious, but did you do a Windows "Search" function for it? Assuming it's Word, if the title search doesn't find it, try *.doc.

I'm sure you already tried. I just had to mention it.

yeah, in this case *.docx. Also did the same with the results of Get Data Back for all the deleted documents.

Ended up re-writing the paper. It's done now, 7 pages long and not as good as the first. Lesson learned I suppose. :(
This discussion has been closed.