GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
edited April 2008 in D&D Supernerd Heaven
Here's an interesting essay on the realism of the ruleset:
http://www.thealexandrian.net/creations/misc/d&d-calibrating.html

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Cool article.

Those people who get worked up over realism always get a laugh out of me.

My answer to any realism concerns?

NOR IS IT REALISTIC THAT THERE ARE DRAGONS THAT BREATH LIGHTNING. NOR IS IT REALISTIC THAT A MAN CAN SHOOT FIRE FROM HIS HANDS.

CB and I were discussing the economy of the D&D universe last night. It's a little messed up.. But the d20 system is surprisingly well balanced.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    The economy of the D&D system is actually very balanced. Most people just don't pay any attention to it and, as a result, think it's totally ****ed up. Most people don't know that there are rules for taxation, making an income, peasantry, fiefdoms, buying and producing goods and services other than "Sword," or "Shield," etc.
    edited April 2008
    We're talking about the economy of a system that takes a hamlet with a "dungeon" nearby.

The living costs as listed in the rulebooks indicate that an "extravagant" lifestyle is something like xxgp per month. It's a very small number. the majority of a population in a given town - let's just say 100gp is more money than they'll generally see in a lifetime. A party can come out of a dungeon even with a small amount of treasure - say, 1200gp. That would throw a town into an uproar, economically.

When they roll up with 35,000 gp, the economy of scale goes off the charts. You can't realistically have a wizard selling "magic items" in a town for 1000s of gp when the average income is counted in sp per month.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    100gp is less than 2/3 of what a level 8 <i>peasant</i> will see in a year in the D&D economy.

1200g is financially enormous for a dungeon loot, btw. Especially < level 10.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    What is a level 8 peasant? According to the article, such a thing would never exist - peasants are far from extraordinary, and a level 8 character would be practically godlike on Earth terms according to the author.
    edited April 2008
    1200g is financially enormous for a dungeon loot, btw. Especially < level 10.

I don't think 1200gp in total treasure haul would be extraordinary by any means, are you nuts? Each of our characters started with ~100gp of VERY basic equipment. 1200gp will barely buy you a spyglass. A warhorse costs 400gp. You're saying that LEVEL 8 adventurers are having BIG HAULS at 1200gp? what?

At level 8, most characters have magic weapons, at least +1, probably better, and a single gemstone for a spell that a lvl8 wizard can cast can cost more than that.