A bit of extra prep time

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited April 2008 in D&D Supernerd Heaven
Okay. I messed up, and it's going to create some extra work for you guys.

I left the server up all night, and all day yesterday so that you guys could log-in and flesh stuff out without me. Then last night, my system crashed, and only then did I realize that I had not saved the character sheets yet...

I'm really sorry, but you are all going to have to remake the sheets.

It sounds like a lot more work than it really is, however. You don't have to roll again or make any decisions, you just need to put the info back on a sheet. If you wrote your rolls down on scrap paper, that will really help, but if you didn't, I've got the chat-log here, and it's got all your rolls (hopefully you remember what the low die was for them each), and some of your numbers were typed into the chat window. Here's all the info I have for each of your roll-outs. I think you should be able to create this character locally, then import it into FG when you join, but I've never seen the player interface, so I'm not sure. I'll also leave the FG server open all day again, so that you can do it on the server if you want, and this time I'll save stuff.

Again: Totally my fault, and I'm really sorry. :(

WalkingStick:
[4d6 = 10]
[4d6 = 16]
[4d6 = 15]
[4d6 = 13]
[4d6 = 6]
[4d6 = 23]
Gold: 110

Amon Maric:
[1d6 = 6]
[4d6 = 19]
[4d6 = 11]
[4d6 = 12]
[4d6 = 14]
[4d6 = 18]
Gold: 90

Pimple Roondar Garrick Fingerdiddle:
[4d6 = 16]
[4d6 = 15]
[4d6 = 22]
[4d6 = 21]
[4d6 = 9]
[4d6 = 19]
Gold: 190

SoaringEagle:
10, 16, 11, 17, 12, 9

Dal'Ruth:
14, 13, 6, 14, 15, 15
Gold : 170

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    ouch

No, I don't remember my dropped dice.

I thought I had 140 starting gold.

You don't happen to know what equipment I had, do you?

Also, the most time-consuming part was assigning skills and typing in all the class features, which I'll have to do again anyway.

It doesn't save our characters when we log out?

This is really demotivational for me. :(
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    You're right. You had 140gp. I was looking at the wrong roll.

It saves the character sheets when I exit the program or when I giv it the command to exit. It autosaves the campaign module every five minutes, but the character sheets have to be saved manually, or on my exit.

If you don't feel like rewriting your class features, I can do that for you...
    edited April 2008
    What about our own notes? Where are those saved? I had put my starting rolls, gold, and skill points in a note and checked them off as I assigned them...

Aw jeez. Equipping took forever too. Ugh. It seems more like we'll have to redo Sunday night - the only thing we do have is the rolls, and that was the quickest part for me.

I know how unstable your PCs tend to be. I would encourage you to subscribe to an online backup service and schedule the game information on a nightly backup... because, honestly, **** like this happens to you all the time. In fact, in light of what has happened here, I'm going to have to say I'm not going to be ready to start playing until there is some kind of disaster recovery plan in place. If we go through the exercise of recreating our character sheets, then your hard drive head crashes or something, we're back to square one.
    edited April 2008
    All I have to do is type '/save' into the chat window once-in-awhile.

If you want, I can also save off the entire campaign to an external drive after every couple of sessions...

Also, my current PC has never had any stability problems. This was a fluke, not a pattern.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    It's going to take a long time to rewrite the fluff.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited April 2008
    I got my char rebuilt last night. I think it's okay, but if you could give it the once-over sometime I'd appreciate it.
    edited April 2008
    I'll give them all a once-over (if you know what I mean)...
    edited April 2008
    WHAT.
    edited April 2008
    I just got a message from one of the devs of FG. apparently my report of this issue, and my explanation of how upset all my players are was the last straw for the dev team's leader.

He promised that the bug will be repaired, and a patch will be released before our Sunday play session.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    ^5 CB! That's excellent news!
    edited April 2008
    Awesome! Something good comes out of it, at least!

Too bad somebody else didn't provide the last straw first. ;)
  • BuddyJBuddyJ
    awards CB 2,000 exp for saving FG2 users around the world!
    Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    awards CB 2,000 exp for saving FG2 users around the world!
    edited April 2008
    Patch is out.

The only items in the patch notes:
    Fixed autosave
    Fixed occasional crashes

:)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Patch notes:

Fixed autosave
    Fixed occasional crashes