A wet question.

Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
edited May 2008 in Hardware
Since summer is rolling up on us here in Texas, the big question is; How to beat that 110 degree summer? That question runs through my brain countless times in the spring months. Even with my giant Gemini 2 and the 110cfm fans I'm still putting that hot air on that hot object. Doing no good if the air temperature is just as hot as the processor.

It's time to switch to water. But like everything I do it has to be awesome or I'll lose interest. I want the whole world's views on water. Water blocks, flow diagrams, preferred coolants, the works. I'm already designing a case and the way she's looking, I'm gonna have about 3x1 feet spare for cooling accessories. Perfect space for a water reservoir and pump no? Gimme what you got. No post is too long, no idea too bad.

Hit me with your best shot.

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70
    Sticky posts 2,3,4,5 (sort of), and 7. (calling the top Sticky #1)

Flow charts for pumps/blocks/tubing in #3 is really good.
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Hi YAD

I am sorry to say that ambient is ambient. Weather you are cooling with air or water you will not get temps below the ambient temp. The only way to do that would be with phase change or tec. A good water cooled setup will probably get you closer to ambient than air cooling but not below.

Scott
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited April 2008
    Well half-way through the summer I start to cheat. About June, it gets too hot down here to tolerate so I crank up my AC's. The water will have an easier go at cooling my box if it's <75 degrees.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Bong cooling can get below ambient, but it's not a lossless system.

Plus:
    <ul><li>Below ambient temps</li>
    <li>Inexpensive build</li>
    <li>Good bang for the buck</li></ul>

Cons:
    <ul><li>Not closed-loop. You have to refill it.</li>
    <li>Noise. You usually hear the water sprinkling</li>
    <li>Space. Bong towers are pretty big, taking space in the room and hampering case mobility</li>
    <li>Marginal increase in humidity in your room.</li></ul>

I saw one with a submersible pump, a 5 gal. paint bucket, 4" PVC pipe tower and Y-split, 120mm fan, and a cheap hardware store shower head. Simple and effective.
    edited April 2008
    I remember seeing one online. They even filled the bong tank with ice. Hmm.. I think I'll refine this bit of technology.
    edited April 2008
    Do it. Take photos. Write a How-To!
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    *mas0n looks around for that old 4-footer
    edited April 2008
    I wonder if such a system could be sealed...You know, put a huge radiator system that the water falls through, that a fan, or air exchanger blows air into, cooling it...
    edited April 2008
    http://www.overclockers.com/articles389/

Short answer:
    Bong cooling doesn't work in a closed loop.
    edited April 2008
    I wonder if such a system could be sealed...You know, put a huge radiator system that the water falls through, that a fan, or air exchanger blows air into, cooling it...

You have described a traditional water cooling loop. The bong cooler cannot be sealed because the air enters near the bottom and must travel up through the vertical pipe because it has nowhere else to go. The air cools the water that is precipitating as it is pushed upward and exits.
    edited April 2008
    Ok. Saves me the time of building a test model. I'll do some drawing and I'll get to work on it as soon as there's funds for it.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    What I'd really like (and possibly YAD, too) is a source for no-leak quick-release hose couplings. The newest Reserators and some Tt kits come with them, but I'd like to find them separately in larger diameter.

I'd like to build something elaborate and modular, and that's the one piece of kit I'd need to go forward. I got really tired of pulling caterpillar-like maneuvers to move my tower PC and the attached Reserator 1 around.
    edited April 2008
    You didn't clap, but I found them anyways. You want the no-spill models, and from what I've read, avoid the COLDER brand ones. They are quite restrictive.
    edited April 2008
    Anyone know where I can get the G4 Storm for cheap? I'm building a parts list.
    edited April 2008
    What's your waterblock budget?

Madshrimps did two waterblock reviews within the past month or so. They're quite impressed with the D-Tek Fuzion, but it's almost $70. I don't know if it's worthwhile to get an older block design. They've come so far in the past years.

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=4&artpage=3380&articID=810
    http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=10&artpage=3165&articID=627
    edited April 2008
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108093&Tpk=apogee%2bgt

$40 for very good performance. It's what I use on my Q6600.
    edited April 2008
    Well I've seen the G4 Storm and it's a direct impingement jet design. That seems to have the best performance since it puts the water down in a higher velocity, creating better flow. To be honest I really give a rat's ass about what it costs. Science never abides by a budget anyway.
    edited April 2008
    To be honest I really give a rat's ass about what it costs. Science never abides by a budget anyway.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1255/cas-329/Prometeia_Mach_II_GT_Phase-Change_CPU_Cooler_Unit_9290GT_-_w_Free_Green_LCD_Kit.html?tl=g41
    edited April 2008
    edited April 2008
    Yeah....I guess it was..? Well hells bells. I guess the Koolance 300 is my next bet?
    edited April 2008
    http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp

Check this one out man. You can fine tune the accelerator nozzles for performance and adjust the flow pattern for dual or quad core CPUs.
    edited April 2008
    Looks good. Now the question is, half inch or bigger?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    This should answer the question: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2246926&postcount=1

Looks like by the final formula that it has less than 1 degree difference on CPU final temp.
    edited April 2008
    When you get to looking at rads, the ThermoChill PA120.3 with 3 silent Scythe fans has served me well. Just for fun I once ran for a week straight at 3.6GHz with the fans off under 24/7 load. I hit 75C ;)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    You didn't clap, but I found them anyways. You want the no-spill models, and from what I've read, avoid the COLDER brand ones. They are quite restrictive.

Sweet Jesus!

Now to combine those with the other key ingredient...
    edited April 2008
    as your lawyer, i've anaylsed the risk and given a full assessment. In this circumstance, it has been determined that proceeding with the plan of action would be worthwile and in your best interest.

BuddyJ, esq.
    edited April 2008
    Ok. I've drawn up a case design. It looks like I'll be limited to Micro-ATX for this design,but it seems that it will work pretty DAMN well. I'm hopefully gonna make a bong pc.

I'm gonna need a waterpump that will move water in an upward motion quite well. Any recommendations?
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2008
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Buy a small refrigerator at target for $60 and build your computer inside of it.
    edited April 2008
    And waste 4.8 amps at 120v(480 watts) on something I can do for about 40 watts? I think not.