A wet question.

2»

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2008
    I highly doubt a small fridge will dissipate 150W+...
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited April 2008
    A fridge computer would be freakin bad ass... Store some drinks in there too. :)
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    And waste 4.8 amps at 120v(4800 watts) on something I can do for about 40 watts? I think not.
    Not to nitpick...but do your math again ;)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Has anyone tried such: small refrigerator, large basin full of water in the fridge, hose from water cooling loop in the basin?

The hose in the basin, part of the computer's cooling loop, would be coiled, allowing several feet of tubing to be submerged. This would maximize the surface area of tubing exposed to the chilled basin water. Would the loop warm up the basin water faster than it could be chilled by the refrigerator? You could put a lid on the basin to prevent evaporation and moisture buildup in the fridge. By basin, I mean some type of stable container that could hold several gallons of water and several feet of coiled tubing.

This is the same principle as the looped copper tubing within a radiator.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Has anyone tried such:

small refrigerator, large basin full of water in the fridge, hose from water cooling loop in the basin

The hose in the basin would be looped, several feet of it. This would maximize the surface area under the chilled basin water. Would it warm up the basin water faster than it could be chilled by the refrigerator?

This is similar in concept to the copper tube looping within a radiator. It's simply more surface area.

No, but I am seriously considering buying a mini-fridge large enough for my triple-rad and 12 beers. I think this would work better than having a large res in the fridge. Probably sometime this summer...

EDIT: and as far as electricity usage goes, this fridge is the one I'm looking at. It uses 320kWh/yr according to Sanyo, which would cost me ~$55/yr and only because I pay nearly $0.17 per kWh. Am I correct in thinking thats only using like 36W? Can that be right?

Even if it only knocks a few degrees off, I'm really just tired of ripping my headset off and running to the kitchen during spawn times. Installing the rad inside is just an afterthought.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    mas0n wrote:
    EDIT: and as far as electricity usage goes, this fridge is the one I'm looking at. It uses 320kWh/yr according to Sanyo, which would cost me ~$55/yr and only because I pay nearly $0.17 per kWh. Am I correct in thinking thats only using like 36W? Can that be right?

I wonder if the usage is based on some kind of normal usage cycle, like in gas mileage estimates? I'm sure they don't expect the compressor to be on all the time, but it might be if you're going to be continuously adding heat to the system.
    edited April 2008
    Gargoyle wrote:
    I wonder if the usage is based on some kind of normal usage cycle, like in gas mileage estimates? I'm sure they don't expect the compressor to be on all the time, but it might be if you're going to be continuously adding heat to the system.

That's what I was thinking. And yeah, I bet the compressor will be on 24/7 while I dump heat into that thing. After seeing that fridge in person today however, there's no way it will fit under my desk it's 6 inches too tall. Too bad, it's sexy as far as fridges go, certainly better than plain white.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited April 2008
    Well if you're going to use a refrigerator to cool something, why not just make a refrigerator cooler instead?
    edited April 2008
    Well if you're going to use a refrigerator to cool something, why not just make a refrigerator cooler instead?

Does it hold beers?
  • BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited April 2008
    Maybe I'm confused, how do you get all the cords in there like the power supply and keyboard, mouse cords. I mean you would have to do some hefty modding to that fridge.

Would you use the power supply that the fridge has for the computer?
    edited April 2008
    Not really, but if you're gonna build a computer inside of one, you might as well just make a refrigerators cooler.
    edited May 2008
    The Crude Theory has been drawn.
    crudetheory.jpg

In the little blue tray, I plan to stuff ice in. as it melts, it refills the base of the bong. With the fan, that ought to help keep it a bit cooler. I figure one good beer-bottle's worth the ice oughta take me back up to a day's loss?

If anyone knows the temperature/humidity evaporation table, pass it along would you?
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    maybe you should make an exhaust tube near the top, make some nice airflow in there.
    edited May 2008
    There's alerady going to be an open spot at the top where the water falls from. Sorry, I'm not good at art with computer.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Has this not been discussed before? A fridge is meant to cool something down and not be expected to run 24/7. A computer will be constantly hot and the compressor will burn out.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    The Crude Theory has been drawn.
    crudetheory.jpg

In the little blue tray, I plan to stuff ice in. as it melts, it refills the base of the bong. With the fan, that ought to help keep it a bit cooler. I figure one good beer-bottle's worth the ice oughta take me back up to a day's loss?

If anyone knows the temperature/humidity evaporation table, pass it along would you?

Umm. that aint for coolin cpu's
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Umm. that aint for coolin cpu's
    Yes it is, it is a bong cooler.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    for cooling processors it seems a bit like a rube goldberg machine to me. Overcomplicating a simple task.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    rube goldberg machine to me. Overcomplicating a simple task.
    My neighbor has built a Rube Goldberg machine in his garage from all types of steel and aluminum construction parts. There are also plenty of cables and pullies. It may not accomplish a great deal considering the work that went into it, but boy is it intoxicating to watch!

I also don't think the return on 'investment' (time, materials, and money) is worth it for water cooling. But I respect anyone who does it. I see it as no better or no worse than the case modifications I do - of no value to other peoples' eyes, but a fun pursuit in my opinion.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008051117392194&item=1-1302&catname=electric
    These are cheap. At 368W into the system you ought to be able to chill to a pretty respectable level. Use it as-is for the bucket at the bottom of your bong or go closed-circuit with a custom heat exchanger built around the evaporator.

Keep in mind though that the energy you're extracting from your computer has to go somewhere. Your room might get unbearably hot with something like this running.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited May 2008
    Hmm.....Very interesting...This requires expanding...368W..I guess I could build a cabinet for it...And use it in my garage for the computer out there; even though it's like a AMD 64-3500 on integrated graphics..And for 30 bucks...Why not? Dammit I wished I had funding still.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    just run tube from the garage to your computer. probley will take more than one pump though.
    edited May 2008
    I'd have to use insulated tubing for about..50 feet, I could use a well pump, but that'd take me up to the power consumption I'm trying to avoid.
  • edited May 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Has anyone tried such: small refrigerator, large basin full of water in the fridge, hose from water cooling loop in the basin?

The hose in the basin, part of the computer's cooling loop, would be coiled, allowing several feet of tubing to be submerged. This would maximize the surface area of tubing exposed to the chilled basin water. Would the loop warm up the basin water faster than it could be chilled by the refrigerator? You could put a lid on the basin to prevent evaporation and moisture buildup in the fridge. By basin, I mean some type of stable container that could hold several gallons of water and several feet of coiled tubing.

This is the same principle as the looped copper tubing within a radiator.

Ha ha, haven't seen that, BUT..!

My friend got sick of his noisy cpu fan, he went for extremely low end water cooling, he found a plastic box, put it on top of his stock cooler, attached 2 pipes and connected the thing with a pump and baby bathtub of water he has out on the balcony, Then sometimes he just go out there change the water or dump some ice cubes in there if he felt like having low CPU temp for fun :P. Not cool looking, but home made and funny.

wandering if its still running or his pc went boom from leakage :P. But was fun, he even put a gold fish in there, but poor thing died next day, probably overheated lol

Uhh, found this http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/dc300-refrigerated-cooler-p-2229.html, if you have cash, just replace your reservoir and radiator with one of this and you are set. nothing else needed, would not be quiet i think, and a bit hot for your room, but you can have it next door :P