Incredibly confused with case fans and how to install them.

BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
edited April 2008 in Hardware
Hey I am using a Dell Dimension 4600 Case and I just am really confused, I really want to add fans to increase air flow, but I am not sure how to install them.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=573&name=Case-Fans

I have looked in my case and I don't see any where I could "screw" a fan in. It really irritates me.

Maybe if someone can explain where these fans are usually installed, I know dell's have almost no cooling in them at all.

Comments

• BubblemanBubbleman A Desert
    edited April 2008
    I just put on my PCI slot covers and my video card raised 5 degrees while idle
    edited April 2008
    Can I use just zip ties to hold the fan in place. theres these vent holes where my old hard drive use to stand but since my hard drive is now used in my bay slot, these holes are exposed so I am thinking of using zip ties to ties the fan to the side of the computer.

Think this can work?
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    It works if you tie through the fan's mounting holes - I've used this method before on a case that was particularly unwelcoming to traditional fan mounting. It can lead to slightly increased vibration, but it does hold the fan in place relatively securely.
    edited April 2008
    Is it going to vibrate and shake and create lots of noise? I think if I can tie them tight enough it will be fine.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    You're right - if you get them tight enough it will be plenty tolerable. I didn't have excessive vibration, just a little more than a normal screw fan mount.
    edited April 2008
    Yeah Ill get back to you on this, I got one of the scythe fans from newegg, I think it should go well.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    To decrease the vibration, for a case with or without standard fan ports, simply place vibration dampening material between the fan and the case wall. You can use weather stripping, pipe insulation, or just about anything that is rubbery but not hard. Use automotive or Household Goop or double sided tape to affix the dampening material to the fan housing.
    edited April 2008
    Very nice I will have to try one of these solutions when I get the fan. Thanks for the replies
    edited April 2008
    Ok I got some double sided foam adhesive and some heavy duty double tape adhesive.

Also got this adhesive putty, they are all scotch products.

Now the fan barley fits its a 120mm fan, and I can't use zip ties so do you think it can just hold with the putty and tape?

And what do I do first adhesive tape on the four sides then put the putty on it the putty touches the case or the adhesive tape?

:rolleyes:
  • edited April 2008
    I personally wouldnt trust tape and putty. The vibration will make it come loose at some point and you dont want those spinning blades hitting fragile parts on your motherboard.

OEM cases can be difficult, can you afford to lose a PCI slot?
    edited April 2008
    I really think the vibration is not a big deal, I am going ahead with the adhesive and heavy duty double sided tape solution.

I just want to know if I put the goop on the fan first with the double sided tape on it or vice versa, like which one first on the corners.

I think I can loop a zip tie through also.
    edited April 2008
    I just want to know if I put the goop on the fan first with the double sided tape on it or vice versa, like which one first on the corners.
    Not quite sure what's going on here. Is the fan hole larger than the fan? I don't get it.
    edited April 2008
    I also want this fan on permanent so even using super glue is fine with me.
    edited April 2008
    Well I am using the 120mm scythe fan from Newegg, and on my Dell dimension 4600 case on the front of the case where the cd rom is just below it is what look like a vent for where the hard drive usually is installed.

I am using my hard drive in my bay slot in a cooling tray so this leaves a open area in my case so I can put the fan in where the hard drive use to stand up.

The vent is just a bunch of little holes and is covered up by the dell face plate.

So I am thinking to just put double sided adhesive tape on the fan corners with the putty on the tape then mount it on the vent metal. Then maybe put some putty on the other side to hold it more (I am assuming the putty will go through the holes)
    edited April 2008
    The fan BARLEY fits, it almost fits like a glove but the corner holes where you would put screws in are out of reach through the vent holes.

So I can't use zip ties.
    edited April 2008
    Why don't you just drill four holes in the vent area corresponding to the four screw mounting holes in the fan casing? Use zip ties to run through the fan casing, through the case front, and secure those zip tie endings with four more zip ties. That way it's inexpensive and not permanent. Sorry, but I've never permanently mounted a fan to a case wall. It's always been removable through hardware of some type. I have mounted fans (and have a couple now, so) inside unused optical drive bays using foam padding. Just cut strips of foam and surround the fan with it. The foam will hold the fan in place and double as a vibration dampener.
    edited April 2008
    Yeah your right, I mean I would drill holes but I dont got the tools to do so. I think I'll stick with the foam padding... This computer is going to be scraped in about a couple months anyway, once I build my new computer.
    edited April 2008
    Should I use this adhesive goop by scotch on top of the foam tape? is there any reason too?

I am going with this solution so I guess I use one or the other, or both
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2008
    A dremel can drill holes for you. They are fun too and can be used for many tasks around they house.

I wouldnt put a bunch of gunk on the fan that you wouldnt be able to get off when you get a new computer.
    edited April 2008
    Its suppose to be removable gunk it says... I mean I would think the tape would be pretty tough to get off also, I think I a am just going to leave this case fan in there tho.

The only thing I will be taking from this computer is the hard drive, and replace it with a 10,000 rpm western digital or something.
    edited April 2008
    Well after a lot of time planning and fixating I did it!

I used the adhesive tape on the corners and pressed hard on the plate, afterwards I used the goop on the sides. Theres no vibration what so ever which I think the goop helped on.

But... I hardly notice a difference on my temperature gauge right now...

Do you think I should remove a pci slot? my video card is idle at 45

Also http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16835185006

I am confused cause it came with an adapter for molex but the molex adapter also has a 3 pin along with a in and out molex connector...

I just plugged 1 molex into it but would that hinder its RPM? like its not getting enough power?

I think I might take the pci slots off.
    edited April 2008
    Follow the wires on the 3 pin connector, the connect with the wires on the molex connector. It just 2 different ways to get power the the fan.

I'd take the DVD ROM and case fan you just put in and use it in another computer. No reason not to.
  • edited April 2008
    45 degrees is fine for a GPU, they typically run much hotter than CPUs. I would have used a PCI slot cooler in an OEM case.
    edited April 2008
    What I am confused about is people are talking about this Fan controller on reviews, like they can control the speed..... So I am confused is my fan blowing at 1600 RPM or is that the max speed it can go... and I have to set it to that speed or voltage.

I need help, I am using molex connector right now but there still is a 3 pin on the molex connector.

It doesnt seem its moving that much air.
    edited April 2008
    Like I said, dont worry about the 3 pin. It does the same thing. Use the molex.

Yes a fan controller can control the speed of a fan. Its basically a potentiometer, or variable resistor to lower the voltage going to the fan. So it spins slower.

1600 RPM is probably the rated speed and the fastest it will go. Its moving air.
    edited April 2008
    Ok so the fan is in there, I would show a picture cause I think its kinda funny... How its even managing to stick there.

Now I accidently pressed so hard I cut this cord open, its an audio jack cable that I never use on the dell for the front.

Should I disconnect the audio jack if its cut?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Double stick foam tape, from Scotch, ONLY, for now, would be my idea.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited April 2008
    I'd actually use some Jb-weld. They make a solvent for it I think, so it'd be squirt-squirt. HOLD for about 20 minutes, let go, and forget.
    edited April 2008
    Well its all done already, its fine its in place and not going anywhere.

I used heavy duty clear double sided tape, it wasnt foam but it was 10X stronger. I also used adhesive putty by scotch around the fan. Holds it well.

I am still worried if I should disconnect the audio jack cord from the mobo since I somewhat severed it.

I pretty much botched the installation, its top 2 corners are touching the metal case the lower one is touch the cords that got severed and the other corner I think is floating so I put some adhesive putty underneath it.

I have such huge hands it was pretty hard to fit it in there. But its quite solid now and doesn't move.