Multiple computers, 1 set of speakers... how?

Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
edited September 2009 in Hardware
I need to connect 2 or 3, maybe 4 computers to 1 set of speakers.

How would I go about doing this?

I've got 2 ideas.... either a bunch of minijack "Y" cables, or a DB9/DB25 switch; I can get DB9/25 connectors without a problem, so what I was thinking is I could get one of those manual switch boxes, and just make some db9/25 --> minijack connectors.

Are there any off-the-shelf products that'll allow me to run 2-4 audio sources into 1 set of speakers?

Comments

• WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    there is a KVM switch made by belkin called soho...it has audio
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited December 2003
    Yeah, I know. And it's expensive as hell. And I already have a KVM switch. So, I'm looking for something else...
    edited December 2003
    Oh, also... it's a 4 channel thing; I need something that can take 2 minijack cables, not just 1.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited December 2003
    I know with stereo's you're not supposed to do it using "Y" adapters. The reason is that the output from one source not only goes to the speakers, but also goes up the other leg of the "Y" into the output of the second source. In effect, you're pumping an output-level signal into another devices output, which could do nasty things to it.

I believe there is an audio switch device to safely allow you to do that. You may even be able to use a multi-speaker switch like this and wire it backwards. (Check before doing that!) Just press a button to select the source you want. Radio Shack has similar items for much less money.
    edited December 2003
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=42-2112

The only problem is that I'd need 2 of them.

//Edit

I was thinking one of these:

http://store.cables4tomorrow.com/db94wswbo.html

plus some custom (home made) adapter cables would work.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2003
    You could always buy a decent set of speakers with multiple inputs, or even the creative ones with their decoder as it has 1 Coax digital in, 1 6 channel analog and 3 optical inputs. Enough for all.

NS
    edited December 2003
    Geeky1 had this to say
    The only problem is that I'd need 2 of them.
    I know they make a version for four sets of speakers. I have the A/V version (Same thing, just an extra RCA jack for the "V" part of A/V). All in glorious stereo! :thumbsup:
    edited December 2003
    Geeky1 had this to say
    I was thinking one of these...plus some custom (home made) adapter cables would work.
    Be an evenings worth of soldering, but ought to work. Should be safe, since the switch isolates each source. Very creative idea. :)
    edited December 2003
    NS, you misunderstood me; I've got 4.1 speakers (Altec Lansing ADA-890R; 120w, THX), so I need something that can take two stereo minijack cables; the radioshack switchboxes are only good for 1 stereo channel/box, so I'd need two.
  • edited September 2009
    There is a cheap solution to this problem. Just follow this link & look at thread # 7
    http://mydellmini.com/forum/external-accessories-peripherals/3643-whats-best-way-share-speakers-between-two-systems.html.

I bought an expensive piece for $36 and later found out about this option for $10!
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    this thread is almost 6 years old.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    For a second I thought Geeky1 rejoined the boards.