Lapping Thermalright SI-128SE!

lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
edited April 2008 in Hardware
I've never been pleased with the base on my Thermalright SI-128SE. Its quite convex and bulges off-center to make matters worse. I finally decided to break out the sandpaper and get to work. I've been at it for nearly an hour and it is still not flat. It is much better, but there is still quite a bit to go. I'm on my third sheet of 220 grit.

For some before shots, you can take a look at my heatsink roundup from back in December.

This first shot is after about 15 minutes..
attachment.php?attachmentid=25289&stc=1&d=1209077948

This is after almost an hour. The darker looking copper is the problem area. Its incredible how much material has already come off.
attachment.php?attachmentid=25290&stc=1&d=1209077948

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2008
    This is about as flat as its going to get. Its not perfect around the edges, but I'd have to take off way too much material. The middle portion of the base is flat, which is most important.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25291&stc=1&d=1209085809

I went through four sheets of 220 grit, one sheet of 320, and below is after a quick 600 grit polish--still rough looking.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25292&stc=1&d=1209085809

Finally, some more 600 grit polishing and then a 1500 grit polish for a mirror finish.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25293&stc=1&d=1209085809

Three hours of my life that I'll never get back :( it was worth it :buck:
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Blingin!
  • edited April 2008
    Nice results but 3 hours?!

They should sort this out in the factory imo.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    They should sort this out in the factory imo.
    Exactly! Both of my Ultra 120 Extremes had exactly the same sloppy base machining you described, lemonlime. I not putting out more money for Thermalright until they can get basics right. Yes, the basics. Even the el cheapo heatsink brands manage to have flat bases. When you pay the Thermalright prices, it is not unreasonable to expect a superior product. BTW, both of my U12Es are less than three months old. Thermalright seems to be ignoring their customers. The complaints about the base problems have are nothing new. So then, whey did I buy not one, but even two? sighhh..
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Even with **** bases, they're still the best heatsinks available by several degrees. C'est la vie.
    edited April 2008
    Even with **** bases, they're still the best heatsinks available by several degrees.
    Only if you are willing to spend a long time lapping them. At least in my experience, my Tuniq Towers and Zalman 9700NT outperformed both of my U120Es until I had long lapping sessions with the Thermalrights, one of which required two lappings.
  • edited April 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Even with **** bases, they're still the best heatsinks available by several degrees. C'est la vie.

There are other products being released lately with performance in the same league as the U-120-x, and have better base finishes. TR has some great engineering, but their QC has gone down the crapper.

I'm seriously thinking of trying the new Noctua heatsink out for my next air cooling purchase. It's roughly the same price as the U-120-x, but includes a high quality, quiet fan with it.
    edited April 2008
    I'm seriously thinking of trying the new Noctua heatsink out for my next air cooling purchase. It's roughly the same price as the U-120-x, but includes a high quality, quiet fan with it.
    Looking forward to seeing your comments. I thoroughly enjoy tearing apart and rebuilding computers. I also really enjoy working with my hands on tasks such as case modding. These activities at least involve mental exercise in the form of engineering and creation. Lapping heatsinks is just plain thoughtless drudgery.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited April 2008
    muddocktor wrote:
    There are other products being released lately with performance in the same league as the U-120-x, and have better base finishes. TR has some great engineering, but their QC has gone down the crapper.

I'm very pleased with the Noctua NH-U12P. Its a fantastic heatsink, mudd.