Dell 3000 case fan running 100%?

TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
edited May 2008 in Hardware
I'm working on a Dell Dimension 3000 desktop. It had some spyware and viruses in it, which I fixed. I did the Ctrl-F11 PC-Restore thing and got it cleaned out, and got all the usual updates from Microsoft, etc.

Only one weird thing. The case fan screams all the time now, running at 100%. Once in a while it slows down, but most of the time it's running at full power and making noise like crazy because of it.

Why? I didn't do anything fancy or tricky to the computer, just the usual overhaul like I've done many times, although this is my first time using the Ctrl-F11 PC Restore function.

Task Manager shows nothing unusual, even with the CPU at 0%-2% usage the case fan is still wailing away.

Any ideas here?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    The case is probably full of crap. Dell owners with spyware generally keep filthy computers.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    The case is probably full of crap. Dell owners with spyware generally keep filthy computers.
    Hilarious! But I have no doubt, given your technician experience, it's the truth.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    No, this computer is actually pretty clean inside. Not spotless, but I've seen MUCH worse.

Taking the side cover off makes the fan speed drop somewhat and get quieter, but putting the cover back on brings it back up. I didn't see any switches that indicate when the side cover is removed.

The case fan is designed with that curved green plastic cover that pulls air over the CPU on its way out of the case.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2008
    You didnt happen to uninstall any Dell fan speed control software did ya? With it no longer on it might just spin at 100% now.
  • edited April 2008
    Could always try reseating the heatsink.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    double check the BIOS for any temperature/fan monitoring settings
  • revorocksrevorocks England, East Sussex, Hove Member
    edited May 2008
    Yea, check the bios first, sounds like a auto fan speed controller. but you say it slows down when the case side is removed... so that shows it still is responsive to temperatures.

have anyof your othercase fans stopped working? or are they clogged?

give it all a good clean and check for the operation of the case fans... if no luck, look in the biosm if no luck there check the fan connector.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I got it fixed, after reseating the CPU and turn it on and off 3-4 more times it started behaving itself.