Sun 27 April 2008

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited May 2008 in D&D Supernerd Heaven
Meet on skype at 6 to finish unfinished things and shoot the breeze. Play session begins at 7.

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I think it went okay. There were a few things I did wrong (more on that later), a few things that I hadn't prepared myself enough for the contingencies of, and a few times when I was perhaps not clear enough as to what the characters should be doing.

This format of play was new to all of us. I never realized how much it would effect the game to be voice only. I knew it would be different, and pose new challenges, but I didn't expect how much harder it would be for me to keep track of what everyone is doing all the time. Without seeing your faces for some reason. There also seemed to be less of a propensity to role-play. For some it was that other people were around, and for others maybe it just felt sillier than normal to role-play into a headset mic. For my own part, I had a bunch of Role-play things for the NPCs to do. I had personalities planned, and activities to get through... Part of it was that none of the PCs seemed that interested in interacting with the other crew members, which is fine, but it was mostly me. I managed to get Terry to sing his self-centered shanty, but I missed/forgot almost everything else.

However, I am confident that these are things that will come with time. As I (and all of us) get used to the interface, and the chat format, everything else about the game will start to fall into place.

I think the only part that wont really get easier is that I'm completely unable to gauge the player's second-to-second reactions to the game events. The only real solution for this would be video conferencing, but I don't think that's feasible with our connections, so I guess I have to rely on talking privately with the players.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I enjoyed the sea shanty.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    So did I, but I judge Cap'n Terry to be far from "Salty."

I think part of the reason for a lack of much roleplaying on my part was that I haven't fully gotten my head around the paradigm shift. The fact that much of the game is water-based still hasn't quite sunk in. I was subconsciously expecting the ocean voyage to simply be a prelude to the actual gameplay - on land. It was easier when things were happening to the boat, but the rest of the time, I had no clue what my character should be doing besides waiting to arrive at the destination.

I'm hoping that as we get more play experience in the format, I'll get more used to the idea of actually playing while we're on the water.

As far as second-to-second reactions, you did miss a very literal headdesk from me when I rolled the fourth sub-5 DC check in a row while trying to help the captain with the ropes.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Yeah failing those concentration checks was a bitch. I didn't pick my skills with enough foresight. In retrospect, WalkingStick should have had "mending" as a 0-level spell and also at least 2 ranks in concentration. :-/
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    GHoosdum wrote:

As far as second-to-second reactions, you did miss a very literal headdesk from me when I rolled the fourth sub-5 DC check in a row while trying to help the captain with the ropes.

Ha! I also did a literal headdesk at that same moment! :)

I was also doing facepalms when Xaal was rolling 2s and 3s at the heavy crossbow. With his boni, he only needed to roll a 5 to hit the approaching boat...
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I'm still trying to get my head around my character as to what he can do (in game and in the metagame) and what he would do. Once I get a better understanding of his relationship with the world and the other party members, I think I'll be able to roleplay him more effectively.

For example, in fighting the Orcs, I knew that casting Grease on the deck would be something he'd enjoy. Making the Orcs fall on their asses would be a hilarious in the eyes of Garl, while also being helpful to the party. Throwing the Wizard Fire at the cabin of the ship was a little harder to justify. It seemed fun and sorta chaotic, but I don't know really if it was the right choice.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    WalkingStick was about this close to knocking Xaal away from the crossbow and doing it his damned self.
    edited April 2008
    How far did we progress in the adventure vs. your expectations?
    edited April 2008
    In the future, I have to remember the following things that I missed yesterday:

- Silk Rope grants a +2 circumstance bonus to Use Rope checks. Good thing I bought one!
    - Seafaring Heritage feat grants a +2 on all skill and knowledge checks related to boats. I didn't use this at all!
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Who is our rogue? My character should've been swimming while the rogue did silly rope tricks on the mast but my character saw that 1) WalkingStick wasn't getting the job done, and 2) nobody else was nearby. The safety of everyone on the ship was an overriding concern vs. Xaal at the time. Unfortunately the effort was in vain.

BuddyJ, if you think your character would have done it, then do it. Whether or not it helps the party is moot. For instance, if WalkingStick had continued to provoke Dal'Ruth after the encounter, Dal'Ruth would have done something about it. Probably not so good for the party, but definitely in-character for him.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited May 2008
    My character is the rogue. Climbing the mast was a climb check, not a Use Rope check, otherwise I'd have been the first up the mast. Climb is a strength-based skill, in which my rogue has an 8. If I had known in advance that "helping the captain" was an unassisted strength check as well, it might have been a different story... but your drake was already halfway up the mast when I realized that the captain wasn't actually doing a damn thing to keep the rope Amon was holding from hitting the drake..

The rogue certainly did what he thought was best for him at the time... jumping in the water after Xaal was not on the list. My logic was that it would have been easier for the drake to climb the mast with your +8 strength bonus, and it was... little did I realize we'd both be failing every single check for three turns in a row there at the end. :(
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I'm not holding it against you, it's just that 'Use Rope' was not something I put any SP into. My roommate's comment was "Where's the Rogue?!?" And I was like, "Unconscious, I think." Anyway, it was bad rolling all around.

2008-03-13-DexterityRoll.jpg

-drasnor :fold:
    edited May 2008
    What we needed to do was figure out a way for you climb the thing and me to loose the rope. ;)
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Yea, I have a high dexterity, but average strength so I wouldn't have been of much help anyways...