Dell Latitude C610 Laptop Battery is broken

edited April 2009 in Hardware
I got my mom's old laptop to try to fix up and use.
I've been able to pretty much fix it other than the battery.
The battery doesn't hold any charge at all; if the adapter is removed at all, the laptop loses power.
The Windows battery monitor always shows that it is at 0% capacity, but it does recognize when it is and isn't there. It says that it is charging, but never actually charges.
I have tried both battery ports (the dvd-drive can be removed and replaced with a battery), and both have the same problem.

Money is a bit of an issue right now, so I don't want to have to replace the battery unless it's necessary.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    The cells of the battery are probably completely unable to take a charge at this point. If it's an immediate shutdown, the damage is probably even deeper than memory effect. Your only options, I think, are to run it plugged in or to cough up the considerable price of a new battery. :(
  • edited April 2008
    Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.
    I managed to order one for only $35USD on ebay, so hopefully that should do it.
    Thanks anyways guys!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Flibby - big OOPS on my part. Sorry, dude, I accidentally banned you when going after the "Hellen" rat. One of the admins will be by shortly to lift the ban.

Again, sorry! :(