Would you buy an open box motherboard from Newegg?

edited April 2008 in Hardware
I was going to get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131232 but then i saw http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131232R

You think it's worth it for that price difference? I called them and they said they test all their open box stuff so it supposedly fine.

Comments

• ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I have not had good luck with Open Box motherboards. Just get the retail package.

I'm probably 2/5 and in the past 5 years with NewEgg O/B MB's. Though the bad ones are usually fixed by manufacturer's RMA. I'd still be out a MB for a few weeks and pay for shipping, so its not worth it.

Also, if you see an open box that is more expensive than others of the exact same model, it probably has all the cables and accessories, while the cheaper one would ship with MB only-- no backplate, manual, nothing!

You would save quite a bit going with the OB. I'm not sure if NewEgg sells previously RMA'd MB's. If they did, the $60+ savings hints that it was and it will come with MB only (see above). I fell into that trap too many times, and got burned, if I was in your situation, I wouldn't do it and pay retail.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    If the open box motherboard is substantially less expensive, then yes, I'd probably spring for it, that is, if you don't need the accessories that it probably will not have.

I'm 100% good to go with the open box motherboards I've purchased through Newegg, but in all fairness, I think that's only two mobos, so obviously that's not a high sampling.

If the price is within $25 of the sealed retail board, I would not get the open box.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Never had to buy used Mobo from newegg, have bought a returned Mobo for a client build and it worked fine, however, this was from a retail store so if there was an issue I could take it back without hassle or time. But if you need to buy OB go for it otherwise I would advise against I have gotten OB equipment and it seems like a crap shoot for good or RMA equipment.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I never buy used hardware, not worth the risk IMHO.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    My only experience with open box from Newegg was positive. ASRock-Dual SATA2 for less than $40 shipped and it still runs to this day with an opteron 144 @ 2.8GHz. Just be prepared to get absolutely nothing but the board, no I/O shield, etc.

Is it just me or did we have this same thread last month?

EDIT: AHA! Knew I wasn't crazy
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I never buy used hardware, not worth the risk IMHO.
    I primarily buy used hardware, mainly from online trading forums. If you carefully screen prospective traders - Heatware is a great place to start - you can minimize the risk. I can honestly say the reliability of of used hardware I've purchased has been just as high as brand new retail.

Buying pre-owned is the only way I can budget upgrade cycles for multiple computers.