Drive Letter not being Assigned

_k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
edited April 2008 in Hardware
Hey I ran into this problem when I was doing some work for a guy and wasn't around for the resolution so I do not know what really happened. He had some harddrives that we pulled out of his previous machine and placed into a new rig. Once the new OS was installed and everything was ready for a migration whenever the old HDDs were connected in any manner they would not show up in Explorer and they were never assigned a drive letter. They usually were only called Data Volume or the drive title was blank. Also depending on how they were installed they would show the data or non at all also the disk health was always good. Later on he told me that he had Norton Go Back installed on the boot disk, second drive was a data dump, and after uninstalling it the drive could be seen and partially worked it just needed to the partition table rebuilt because of the software however the second drive did not have any software of that sort installed and always gave the same issues even after MBR prepare and partition rebuild. So I was wondering if there was something I was missing, I didn't see the end cause the guy was creepy and things so I distanced my way out of that situation, personal after work IT. I just wanted to reinstall GoBack and rip the data that way but he wouldn't let me, should of just done it and said I found another way. Just wondering if I was missing something there or it should of worked....so I am asking for a solution for future refernce TK in advance.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    I'm assuming Windows XP here, right?

Did you go into Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management? You should have been able to assign drive letters in there. Sometimes drives will not register correctly in Windows Explorer/My Computer if they are not first assigned in Disk Management.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Yes it was Windows XP and I went into the Disk Management and when I right clicked to assign a drive letter that section was grayed out so it only had the properties section which yields nothing and selection of format.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    If I recall, I had the same problem a ways back that you describe. I'm trying to remember how I resolved it. It may have been through a third-party disk management utility.

Did you try different jumper positions on the hard drives? You could also try the disk in an external enclosure and see what Windows will show.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited April 2008
    Done and Done, tried through cable and external. Jumper settings weren't an issue in any case. We ran through ERD commander to do partition and MBR rebuilt. The program saw all drives through there just didn't get around to using it to rip data cause of time constraints while I was on location.