Dell Dimension 9150 power supply question

adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
edited May 2008 in Hardware
Trying to help out a co-worker whose Dell refused to boot this morning. She says when she hit the power button, there was a couple of clicks and then nothing, no lights, no fans. Suspect PS is dead and want to replace it. Does anyone know whether her Dimension 9150 PS is proprietary or can I jump in a standard ATX unit to test? THX!

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Hello,

You would have to look at the connectors for the mobo. If it uses 20/24pin for the main ATX and a 4/8pin for CPU power.. then yes. If there is any non standard power connection, then no.

Also, to test the PSU to make sure that is the problem:

Disconnect the PSU from everything (wall, mobo, etc) ...then plug the unit back into the wall socket and connect a couple hard drives to a molex connector to provide a load.
    Now....with the switch on the back of the PSU in the off position...locate the Dark Green wire in the ATX connector and using a paper clip (or something similar) "jump it" to any of the black wires in the connector....Now flip the switch on the back (you may not have a switch...just plug the power cable into the wall) to On.......the PSU should start up and run.
    Pictures of the jumpstart are here: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34941
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Dell man here... OK. All Dells have diagnostic lights in the back. Lets start there. That will tell us what the problem is before we jump to conclusions about the Power Supply Unit (PSU).

Here is the direct link to the Dimension 9150 LED Diagnostic Lights.

Let us know what the LED's show, if they even light up. Also... does the power light up green or amber/yellow?
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Thanks for the replies! She just brought me her tower so after I get it home and check on these things, I'll post back.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Sheesh! What a mess!!! The PC booted up S-L-O-W-L-Y but booted nonetheless. This PC does not have the traditional Dell Christmas tree lights on the back. It has a translucent panel on the front that shows digital code as it boots. It showed 1, 4 for the longest time and then booted to desktop. I am not sure what 1, 4 means; could be normal boot AFAIK. Now this PC is choked! Task manager shows 68 processes running!!! WTH!!? How do people screw their PC's like this! Next, the HD is BADLY fragmented. I am running defrag now. After that, I am going to scan for viruses/spyware. I was hoping this was just a defunct PS but it is obviously not that............unless the PS wouldn't work this morning for her but works fine for me now. Anyway, that is my game plan for now. Chime in if you think something else is needed. BTW, the owner of this PC has 2 (that's one, two) adult black labs. Ever smell dog dander heated and pumped out the back end of a PC power supply?! Come on over and take a hit; it isn't pretty.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Adarryl's Hardware Adventures to be continued!
    edited May 2008
    Power supply problem solved! UNBELIEVABLE!!! Animal dander was under the case's power button so the button would depress and hang. Result = no power up (sometimes). I think I will go upstairs and bathe now. :/
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    LOL, that's pretty good...or bad, depending how look at it!