Cloning a hard drive

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited May 2008 in Science & Tech
Can someone help me with cloning a hard drive?

I would like to make a direct duplicate of a freshly installed xp install and be able to use the backed up hard drive (which is identical to the original in size and manufacturer) in case of failure, or much more likely, in the case of clutter and slow down from the usual sources. This particular clone is for a computer of a friend of mine and I would like to have it set up as easy as possible for him to restore himself if it ever, and will, need to be. Both drives are internal, and ideally I'd like to keep it that way. Manually unplugging/plugging in drives is acceptable if need be. The goal here is that either drive can boot into windows in an identical fashion by themselves with no external help.

Are there any free programs or fully functioning trials for this better than ghost? I have Norton Ghost and have been trying to duplicate the drive, but the problem I run into is either the os isn't recognized on the replacement drive, or it loads windows and freezes on the blue welcome screen. I'm kind of unsure what to do here.

Solutions please?

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Ghost should work fine....depending on the version (age) and which OS you are cloning.

Normally a default sector copy works great for me.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    You need a version of Ghost made after 2006 for it to work properly. If you don't, it will always freeze at the Welcome screen because of an issue with the way XP handles your SID. The SID is a number generated off of the hardware that's in your computer. Previous versions of Ghost don't know how to handle it, so whatever version you're using has to be ancient.

This is free and works well:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/back_up_restore_harddrives_partitions_with_ghost4linux
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Two points:

1) Acronis - not free, but worth every penny, clones disks perfectly. It's probably the best retail software I've ever owned.
    2) I strongly recommend against having a backup and/or cloned drive installed inside a computer. There are just too many events that could take out the backup along with the operating drive. Recommend an external drive that is turned off and unplugged when not in use. You can get external enclosures for very cheap. Just find your friend an enclosure, an inexpensive hard drive, and show him how to clone. The cloning/external drive method is pretty close to foolproof.

Take a look at Thrax's suggestion above. I know nothing about it, but it might be a solution for your friend. Also, as Ryder stated, the newer Ghost editions should also do what you require.
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited May 2008
    Thank you!

I may get an enclosure, but my idea was just leave it inside the computer unplugged and I'd tell him if he needs to restore the computer to plug it back in for the restore and unplug it after words, not to difficult.

PROBLEM SOLVED. Clone successful.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I knew Thrax would have the answer to why you need a specific version... Thanks, I learned something too :D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I'd tell him if he needs to restore the computer to plug it back in for the restore and unplug it after words
    That's elegantly simple. Actually, that might work very well. Most non-technical computer users are averse to opening up their computer cases. He/she would probably be less likely to abuse an out-of-sight drive than one in view on the desktop.