2 PC's-1 monitor: what switch to use?

adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
edited May 2008 in Hardware
I have two stand alone PC's that I want to share access to one monitor. I know I will need some sort of KVM switch but need it only for the video part not the keyboard or mouse. Can anyone tell me what I need and make a recommendation on brand? Also, prefer DVI connections rather than VGA alone. Thx!

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    The KVM market is very spotty with respect to quality and reliability. Your best bet is to just start some Google research. Have you considered just using an network monitor? For instance, you can use Ultra VNC (freeware) to monitor and use the second computer. The downside of a network monitor is that you can't access the monitored computer until it is booted into the operating system. There is also a slight lag between commands and operations and the video feedback.

But really, do some research on different KVM models. Some of them really stink. I run Ultra VNC on a couple computers and also have a KVM hooked up with two computers my wife and son use, sharing one monitor, mouse, and keyboard. (Don't feel sorry for my son. He's also got a laptop in his bedroom.)
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Thanks Leo! I did some searching (a lot actually) and you're right. A lot of these contrivances do stink. I don't think I've seen so many "yes, but..." clauses in my life. Anyway, what I want to do is share only the monitor between the two PC's though what your wife and son have set up might have more advantages. I found an IOGear KVM at NewEgg and ordered it hoping it can do what I want. Actually, I suppose an old A-B type video switch might work but I don't want anything that homely sitting next to me when I work on either one of the two PC's.
    edited May 2008
    If all you want to share is the monitor, then why do you need a hardware solution? Just install Ultra VNC and view the other computer, nearly as if it were your primary machine. Also, with VNC you can control the other computer if you wish to.
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I'll look into it, but I need to keep the two machines separate. They are a part of my "fluid" inventory that I may sell off at any time.
    edited May 2008
    Well yes, the VNC solution does keep them separate. At any time all you have to do is uninstall the software and they are both independent. The computer that is being monitored from the master computer is a "server" or servers, as you can have several computers all monitored and controlled by one master. But then, they both independent anyway, as you can set the server computer to only allow access through password.

I started using Ultra VNC simply because I had the parts for another Folding machine and did not want to mess with more cables and an expensive KVM just to run Folding. I like it so much I've installed it on other computers throughout the house and for the occasional remote administration of those remote machines. On the back of the dedicated Folding box there is an antenna for the networking card and just one cable, the power cable. That's it.
    edited May 2008
    Sounds good Leo, Thx! I will give this a shot and see how it goes. I'll report back later.
    edited May 2008
    The latest: I purchased and installed this IOGear KVM switch from NewEgg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817107407

It is simple and effective. I found it did not recognize 2 different Logitech USB mice I use but it did recognize and works well with a Rosewill USB Optical I had laying around. This was with a PS/2 adapter in all three cases. I am pleased with the outcome with the only glitch being one of connectivity with a USB mouse. Hard to figure that one out; if one is recognized, you would think others would be too. Anyway, I am going with this for now though I bookmarked some Ultra VNC links based on Leo's input. That will be my backup plan.
    edited May 2008
    Glad you've got it working.