Five work units turned in, rewarded for two.

Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
edited May 2008 in Folding@Home
Well I'm not really understanding how the F@H system works, but I'm noticing a trend. My first WU returned no points, my second and third put me up to 461, third(a huge one, 4042_supervillan) netted me no points, and my fourth and fifth paid nothing as well, both small units.

My PS3 isn't experiencing any loss to my router; but at random times I get signed out of the PS3...fried...online...thingy.

Any Ideas as to what's goin' on?

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    um not really but where are you checking your stats at, some places they don't update accurately all the time even at the Folding@home page. I take it that it has been a full day or two with the submits. Also the SMP for folding yields a lot more points per WU fyi.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited May 2008
    They don't make the SMP client for the PS3.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, SMPs are for multi-core PCs, however, _k_ has a good question- where are you getting your stats?

The one that counts (and used by all of the others) is this one.

Still, even Stanford sometimes has trouble keeping their stats up to date.

The PS3, on a 24 hour Folding basis, typically does about 800 to 1200 points per day depending on which of about a half dozen different kinds of WUs are being worked and when they're turned in. Outside of a gross error message (like "Network connection error"- you're basically unplugged), there is not a lot to tell you if there is trouble. If the PS3 has trouble turning in a WU (like a server is down) it retries every 6 hours. Of course, your usage of the PS3 affects this as well.

Unlike a PC, the PS3 is a start and forget type system. You have basically no control over over the Folding and even the updates are handled by simply restarting the thing. My only complaint is that if they're going to to make it so inaccessible, they may as well have an option where you can have it automatically start Folding when you're not doing anything else.

In short, I don't think you have a Folding problem yet, you should know it when you do, and the stats system sometimes requires more patience than anything else.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Yeah my bad i read that as you had a PC that wasn't getting points and then a PS3 that was getting knocked off.
    edited May 2008
    Oh random places. It wasn't important enough to post a novella. I was just wondering if that was normal.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Another good stats page, based on the Stanford stats feed.
    edited May 2008
    Thanks Leon. Always got the right info at the right time.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Not always. I try to keep quiet if I don't know. When I do post something bogus, Thrax usually spots it and educates me (I mean that) quickly.
    Always got the right info at the right time.
    Were that true, I wouldn't have spent six hours last night uninstalling and installing software, running Checkdisk, tweaking the BIOS, running Acronis partition restoring....to finally figure out the PSU was putting out loopy voltages.

Concerning points updating: I don't know how long you've been waiting. Sometimes there can be a server backlog for assessing production and crediting points. If more than, say 36 hours pass, you should contact Stanford. Sorry, but I don't remember the means of making that contact. Someone here should know.

BTW, have you been introduced to Folding Forum yet?
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited May 2008
    You're 24hr average is 704, so it appears you are doing okay. Fold on! :fold:

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=343659
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Really... when compared to all my rigs folding now... 700 ppd for one system is AWESOME :D
    edited May 2008
    Well, I'd also like to add that I'm only remembering to put it on F@PS3 when I walk past it. Which these days is quite rare.