high pitch noise, help

edited May 2008 in Hardware
Hi guys, i have a strange problem. My computer emits a annoying very high pitch noise. Its near ultra sonic, so you have to really concentrate to hear it, but when you hear it you cant stop and its giving me an excruciating headache.

I juts replaced a new MB, HD, CD, so the source can only be from CPU, GPU, RAM or PSU.

I look it up and most forums came back with some coils in PSU "whining" when under load. Any one know this problem and how to fix it? My PSU is rather cheap, but its new so i will prefer to really be sure that is a cuppid before junking it. Btw, i cant return it because i already dissected it :P

ps: i don't have fans in my pc, so it cant be them making noise.

Thanks ahead for any tips

also, (sorry did not wanted to post another thread) my HDDs are egg baking hot. is that ok, or i have to do something about it ?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    You'll eventually kill your hard drives if they're much higher than the ambient temperature of the room.

Aside from that, given that you have no fans it has to be capacitor whine on your PSU. Cheap PSUs do this. Only way to fix it is to replace it.
  • edited May 2008
    ok, i have picked up a new PSU and a big 120mm ultra quiet fan, will install that on my PC and come back to you with results
  • edited May 2008
    Uhh, unfortunately new power supply did not cut it. Its a Cooler master 520w. This means the noise was coming from something else. Now i have no idea what :(
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Is it the monitor?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I've seen it happen with motherboards and video cards too. It's the whine of a capacitor going bad. You need to get right up in your case and try to hear which part it's coming from.

Whatever it's coming from needs to be replaced.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    You need air flow in that case, Heat kills!
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I won't be surprised if it's your hard drive. Could also be why it's baking hot.
    I also had one which whined like a banshee before it gave up the ghost.
  • edited May 2008
    I've also had a psu that whined like that too, right before it went bad (and took the mobo out too). :(
  • edited May 2008
    I did put my head in there, well at least as far as it could fit :P, but being honest i cant tell were the noise coming from, if its a capasitor (which i just guess are the cylindrical aluminum things) then there are so many of them in there, on MB, on Video card, on Sound card... But as i sad, i just put in new MB, new HDD, and recently the PSU, so the only thing left is the CPU itself and the video card. I will try to climb in there again, unhook the video card and boot up, will come back with results

About the hit.
    I installed 2x 80mm case fans on the back to blow on my heat pipes. and one 120mm on my hdds so i guess the hit problem is out (except my north bridge is always 41+, can't do anything with it, my MB is ASUS crosshair with all those finned hit pipes running around, i already removed the Republic sticker and clamped the zalman north bridge water block on top of it, but it only brought the temperature down from 43 to 41)

Spent whole day poking in there trying to fit the water block on top of the thing, forgot even to cook dinner :P
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Are you using a CRT monitor? I had that awful sound a few years ago with a CRT.
  • edited May 2008
    You guys can laugh as much as you like but i just did something very stupid (by accident) While i was trying to get inside the case to take a video card out, i accidentally turned of the switch of the reserator lol.

As a result i am posting now with my old laptop with dead battery and having a melted down CPU water block sitting beautifully next to me, glittering with its microscopic layer of gold that you can wipe off with a towel :)

About the test, video card tuned out negative, and i am using LCD :(. Ohh well one day when things Go Boom, you guys will hear about it on da news. :P

Good day to all, and don't forget to turn on your reserator :P
    edited May 2008
    Take a short piece of flexible pipe like a garden hose and use it like a stethoscope. Put one end to your ear and hold the other end against the various components. You should be able to isolate the source of the noise and hopefully nail down the offending piece of hardware that way.
  • edited May 2008
    Finally i found the cupid. And you was half right, it was not the monitor but my LCD adapter. I guess not much i can do about it, just going to sit here and wait till it dies.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Take a short piece of flexible pipe like a garden hose and use it like a stethoscope.
    You would be well advised to empty the water out first!

Sorry the high pitched whine is still there. At least you isolated the source. LCD adapter. Are you running the LCD via digital cable (DVI) from an AGP video card, with an adapter for the monitor cable? Not quite sure what you mean when you wrote "LCD adapter."
  • edited May 2008
    By LCD adopter i meant the thing that goes in between the wall power plug and the screen power input. Its a square plastic box that looks like laptop power adopter, i am not sure all monitors has that as my 2 identical screens that i bought form 2 different shops one came with it and one without.

But i am, very sorry for all the confusion, i did what you suggested, took a left over pipe from water cooling kit, stuck one end to my ear and started moving the other one around inside my PC, the result is not very pleasing, i have a "hive" of whining coils. One on the MB and few in PSU, they all make lil whine each that at the end becomes a mini Jet plane. I looked up on the net and some ppl suggest putting some kind of goo on it to keep the coil from having "magnetostriction". I am not very sure if thats safe as this coils do feel a bit hot on the touch. Also inside the PSU it must be quite hot and i don't want to have things burning inside my PC. Have anyone tried anything like that before ?
    edited May 2008
    All electronic components have some sort of electonic hum. Putting a hollow pipe next to them is going to magnify the sound eleventy billion times. Putting sticky goo all over them doesn't sound at all like a good idea.

The pipe suggestion was just so you could isolate the offending sound, as it would have been louder than the rest of the sounds your computer is making for you to hear it from a distance. Most PSU's especially if they cheap will hum. What you are probably hearing though is the sound of the fan that's in there. Nothing to worry about.