Guide for removing LGA775 clip feet.

_k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
edited May 2008 in Hardware
If the need ever arises for you to remove the LGA775 clip feet on a heatsink this is a quick and easy way to do it and still use them later if they are needed.
DSCN0317.jpg

First you need heatsink with the clip feet, or in some instances the mounting equipment that has them attached to it, you will need wire snip/angle cutter(something that is small and sharp), and a small sized flat blade(needle nose pliers can be used too).
DSCN0318.jpg

Second locate on the clip feet themselves,the front, where there is a nub on the front of them, the clear plastic part, and use the wire snips to cut the nub down to half height or less. There is no need to remove it completely so don't feel compelled that you have to make it flat.
DSCN0319.jpg

Third flip the heatsink around so you can see the backside of the clip feet and there will be a long black piece of plastic that is protruding out over the clear portion of the feet. Use the flat blade screw driver and get it underneath this piece enough to lift it up slight and pull on the black portion of the feet away from the clear portion and it should pull free. If it does not and there seems to be something catching you need to repeat the first step again.

With this you should have a heatsink with no clip feet ready for some new hardware and a backplate to remount, or just needed to steal some spare feet. This method allows you to reuse the feet though you can turn them an extra amount and it makes them work backwards for release, just be gentle in turning them for release and they will work correctly.

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited May 2008
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Ah, I see you now have the OCZ Vendetta 2. Good choice. It's got performance very close to the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, but at half the cost. Well if you compare it apples to apples, it's a superior performer to the TRUE if the TRUE is not heavily lapped. Again, good choice.

K, thanks for the illustration. Your camera doesn't focus well in macro, does it. :) Nevertheless, if I need to remove the feet from the V2, I'll come back to your thread. Between the pictures and the text, your guide will be useful.