GIMP

RichDRichD Essex, UK
edited June 2008 in Internet & Media
Anyone heard of the above software? It is basically an open source version of PhotoShop. I have only tinkered but it looks pretty awesome!

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited May 2008
    It's been around for a long time. It's not as good as photoshop, but it's about the only next best thing and if you need free it is the best thing. They've also come a long way in the last couple of releases and 2.5 is seeing a pretty nice overhaul to the gui from all current indicators.

If you've just stumbled upon The Gimp, you should check out Inkscape. It's a free vector drawing based program that works really well.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    It's been around for a long time. It's not as good as photoshop, but it's about the only next best thing and if you need free it is the best thing. They've also come a long way in the last couple of releases and 2.5 is seeing a pretty nice overhaul to the gui from all current indicators.

If you've just stumbled upon The Gimp, you should check out Inkscape. It's a free vector drawing based program that works really well.

^^ especially since Vector Magic is no longer free.
  • UPSKingpinUPSKingpin Sir Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Definitely a pretty sweet program. I'm a Photoshop fiend, so, obviously, I prefer Photoshop. But I do use Gimp regularly for Second Life texture design.

I also second the recommendation to check out Inkscape.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited May 2008
    I will deffinately check it out! I could do with a decent vector drawing package too. Thanks guys!
  • edited June 2008
    Yes! I love it! I've become quite skilled with it actually. Thanks Kryyst, imma go check out Inkscape now!