Unmountable_Boot_Volume

edited June 2008 in Hardware
i get a blue screen everytime i start my pc and it says " Unmountable_Boot_Volume " i already tried resetting the BIOS but it still shows up even when i try to start on safe mode
help me pls i dont want to lose all my data

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited May 2008
    That means Windows is looking for a device that it is used to, or used source data from (Page file, registry hive, yatta.) You've got two options. Repair install or format.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    I have fixed Unmountable_Boot_Volume several times with a quick chkdsk /r from Windows Recovery Console.
    edited May 2008
    Oh yeah? I'll have to add that to the solution list. Thanks Mason.
    edited May 2008
    gtasmy, try the solution here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302

Also, if you are really concerned about data loss I would pull the drive, connect it to a working PC, and copy everything to a safe place. THEN try the chkdsk /r. It is unlikely that a file system repair will cause data loss in itself, but if the drive is failing anything can happen.

Which brings me to my next point, you may want to run a diagnostic on your HDD as explained here: http://icrontic.com/articles/hard_drive_diagnostics
  • edited May 2008
    how do i do that chkdsk /r thing?
    edited May 2008
    gtasmy wrote:
    how do i do that chkdsk /r thing?

Follow the instructions in the Microsoft KB article I linked to. You will need a Windows XP CD, but it does not have to be for the exact version you have installed. Let us know if you have any other questions.
  • edited May 2008
    i dont have an xp cd my pc came with xp on it
    edited May 2008
    Who made your pc?
    edited May 2008
    gtasmy wrote:
    i dont have an xp cd my pc came with xp on it

What PC are you using right now? If you are comfortable doing so you can pull the hard drive out of the one getting the error, set it as slave on the PC you are using and run chkdsk by right clicking on the drive in Windows Explorer > Properties > Tools > Select "Check Now" under Error Checking > select both check boxes.

You could also use a third party app that has chkdsk on it like this: http://www.freewarefiles.com/NTFSDOS-readwrite-NTFS-From-DOS_program_11100.html

But I can not guarantee the legality, security, or effectiveness of it as I have never used it, but found it with the google.
  • edited May 2008
    i am using my ps3 and my pc is a sony vaio
    edited May 2008
    You need to borrow an XP CD (preferred), use someone else's PC to repair your file system, or use their computer to burn a CD of a third party tool like the one I mentioned. I'll dig around for something else and maybe someone can give another suggestion, but I think those are the only viable options if you want to recover from this.

If your PC has a recovery partition you can boot to it and reinstall in order to get up and running again, but that will most likely wipe all data on the drive. It's been a while since I worked on a Vaio, but I don't remember any of them having recovery partitions. What is your model?
  • edited May 2008
    vgc-rb45g
  • edited May 2008
    does that 3rd party program start on its own when i put the disc in?
    edited May 2008
    gtasmy wrote:
    does that 3rd party program start on its own when i put the disc in?

If you are asking if your computer will automatically boot from it once it is in the drive, well that depends on what your boot options are set to in BIOS. You may have to alter the boot order or select a quick boot option from the POST screen (the first screen you see when your PC starts up) would probably be an "F" key (F12, F10, etc)

I'll see what I can find out about your model when I have some more time.
  • edited May 2008
    maybe u can give me a program that doesnt require a floppy disk???
    edited May 2008
    gtasmy wrote:
    maybe u can give me a program that doesnt require a floppy disk???

I believe that Hiren's Boot CD has NTFS4DOS 1.9 on it, but you'll have to find it yourself; for legal reasons I won't be linking to it. I still think the best solution is to find someone who has a Windows XP CD you can borrow.
  • edited May 2008
    do i need to put it in a cd or can i use a mem stick ???? or maybe a dvd ???
  • edited May 2008
    i dont know y but the hdd wont open in another pc
    edited May 2008
    gtasmy wrote:
    i dont know y but the hdd wont open in another pc

Define: "won't open"

If it is not detected in BIOS then you need to set the jumpers correctly.
  • edited May 2008
    i connected it through usb and it wont let me open it
    edited May 2008
    Start > Run > devmgmt.msc

Does it show up under Disk Drives? If yes, does it show up in My Computer?
  • edited May 2008
    it says "G:\ is not accessible
    Error performing inpage operation"
  • edited May 2008
    i tried to install hijackthis but it wont run
    edited May 2008
    gtasmy wrote:
    it says "G:\ is not accessible
    Error performing inpage operation"

Ok, so it shows up in Device Manager and in Windows Explorer. Run chkdsk by right clicking on the drive in Windows Explorer > Properties > Tools > Select "Check Now" under Error Checking > select both check boxes. This can take a few hours, especially over USB.

Hopefully we don't bork your mbr, but that can be fixed later. Assuming the drive is not failing, chkdsk should repair the file system and make the drive bootable again, or at least make it so data is accessible again. I'd also like to state again that if the drive IS failing we could kill it here, but as it stands you're not able to get data off of it without professional assistance.
    gtasmy wrote:
    i tried to install hijackthis but it wont run

?
  • edited May 2008
    isnt the bar under the check boxes supposed to fill up?
    bec it just closes the window
    edited May 2008
    gtasmy wrote:
    isnt the bar under the check boxes supposed to fill up?
    bec it just closes the window

before it closes the window does it say something like:

"The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed only by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule this disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?"
  • edited May 2008
    no
    edited May 2008
    If you check both boxes and click "Start" but it then closes instantly without any errors, we need to check Event Viewer to see if anything is being reported there.

Start > Run > eventvwr.msc

Look for any System events with red a "X" next to them.
  • edited May 2008
    it says
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Disk
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7
    Date: 5/29/2008
    Time: 11:35:04 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer:
    Description:
    The device, \Device\Harddisk1\D, has a bad block.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 03 00 68 00 01 00 b6 00 ..h...¶.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 07 00 04 c0 .......À
    0010: 00 01 00 00 9c 00 00 c0 ....œ..À
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 d4 ab 82 02 00 00 00 .Ô«‚....
    0028: 8f 48 07 00 00 00 00 00 H......
    0030: ff ff ff ff 01 00 00 00 ÿÿÿÿ....
    0038: 40 00 00 84 02 00 00 00 @..„....
    0040: 00 20 0a 12 40 03 20 40 . ..
    0048: 00 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 ........
    0050: 00 00 00 00 98 c9 c2 82 ....˜É‚
    0058: 00 00 00 00 78 c2 d4 82 ....xÂÔ‚
    0060: 00 00 00 00 ea 55 41 01 ....êUA.
    0068: 28 00 01 41 55 ea 00 00 (..AUê..
    0070: 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0078: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0a p.......
    0080: 00 00 00 00 11 00 00 00 ........
    0088: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, that's what we're trying to repair. I've never had chkdsk just close on me while trying to run it within Windows. You might try rebooting into Safe Mode and trying again. You can get into safe mode by rebooting and pressing F8 before the Windows splash screen. This should present you with a list of boot options. Select "Safe Mode"