HOW TO: Samsung 245BW Portrait Rotation

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited November 2008 in Hardware
I'm not sure if this is the right place, but it is tweaking;)

Anyway. This morning I really wanted to put my monitor into portrait mode for photoshop use and I thought it should be able to do it as most monitors this size do.

So I pulled it out a little bit and tried turning it. I could feel it give a tiny bit, maybe a degree or two, but I could feel it hitting a stop. So I got industrious. I unhooked my monitor and laid it flat on my bed. In the end I accomplished my goal, so read on.

The first step is to get your monitor laying face down on a soft surface so that the back is accessible. Then get yourself a medium sized phillips screw driver. Unscrew the four screws that are holding the stand on. Make sure to support the stand while unscrewing them just to make sure nothing is stressed to much.

Now you can removed the stand, this is what we need. Let the monitor lay. On the stand look to the side that normally is inaccessable as it faces the monitor when attached. There is a small black screw off by itself. Remove this with your screw driver.

You can now reattach the stand to the monitor, hook all your cables back up, and enjoy. Your monitor can now go into portrait mode. You will notice samsung doesn't ship their magic rotation software with this monitor, but not to worry.

Most every graphics driver I'm aware of supports screen rotation. I have a GeForce 8600GT and for me all I had to do was start the 8600's control panel and under screen rotation set it to inverted portrait mode and click apply. After that I was cocked and locked.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2008
    Cool! Dugg this one. :)
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Wow, I was perusing the front page and I had to do a double take to make sure that was really my short little write up posted there. Awesome. I would have taken pictures and written in more detail had I known it would get primetime attention.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Now that you've used the 245BW for a while, what do you think? I've got one, too. In my opinion, you just can't do better for the price.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Everyone I talk to says that the tn panel is horrible, and while I admit that the vertical viewing angle is horrible, if you stay on axis I feel that the color representation is amazing, the speed is wonderful, and the contrast is more than enough. I had to turn down the brightness because my eyes began to hurt.

I even use it to watch movies from time to time, and when I do that I sit across the room from it, all I have to do is adjust the angle of the monitor so the colors don't get distorted. The movies always look good, though on the dark scenes you can see a tiny bit of backlight bleed at the top and bottom of the screen and it can get a little annoying, but truthfully you only see it if you are looking for it.

For what I paid it's an amazing monitor and my only two gripes are the lack of hdmi and the vertical viewing angle. Both of which I can live with. It's not a perfect panel, but I think it is definitely best in class and I would whole heartedly recommend it to anyone on a budget like I was. I give it an 8/10 for performance and a 10/10 for aesthetics and design.
  • edited June 2008
    Thanks for tutorial, airborn. :thumbsup:

I have this monitor too and I love it. The vertical viewing angle doesn't bother me a bit because I sit in front of my monitor and I can always tweak the angle of the monitor if needed. Like Leo, I think it's a damn good value for the price.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited June 2008
    Great tweak, airbornflght!
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited November 2008
    Thank you so much! I would have never had the gal to just open this baby up and go looking, but after reading this I did, and man. Having my audio rack for reason 4.0 on my 245 in portrait, and my 22" dell panel in landscape for the sequencer is a dream. Kudos to you!