Dilemma with my CD/DVD drive

sonicpandasonicpanda SF bay area, California
edited June 2008 in Hardware
The CD/DVD drive on my laptop has been acting odd for a while. I am hoping that someone out there knows how to fix this. :(

The drive has absolutely no problems when i insert a DVD. It spins up, reads the disc, and the media from the DVD runs perfectly.:cool2:

When i insert a CD, it stutters as it spins up, and the media will not start. When I go to MY Computer, right-click on my D: drive and choose Explore, nothing is there. No files. It just won't read any CD I insert.:wtf:

I've heard of cases that are the exact opposite of mine (where CDs read and DVDs do not) but, I have never heard of a case like mine happening before.:confused2

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Any and all help is appreciated and I thank you in advance.:respect::respect::respect:

Comments

• QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited June 2008
    Are you trying to run a regular CD like a music CD, or a CD-rewritable (CDRW) or specialized format?
    edited June 2008
    One other thing I thought of is if you might have installed any player software recently- like one of the scads of DVD playing software that is out there. That could definitely bork up you ability to read certain media and, in my case once, fail your ability to even read the drive. Uninstall them all and only use your favorite one that works.
  • sonicpandasonicpanda SF bay area, California
    edited June 2008
    I've tried regular music CDs, burned music CDs, and software CDs.
    edited June 2008
    I haven't installed any new player software either.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    In all probability the drive is just on its last legs.
    edited June 2008
    ^ What he said is what I'm thinking now too. Unfortunately, LT opticals are pretty pricey ~$150+ retail- and that's IF your optical is not integrated into the LT.

The only other possibility I can think of is to contact the LT manufacturer and see if they have any ideas.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    It might also be that the CD read laser is obstructed by a bit of paper or something - unlikely but possible. Blow out the drive with canned air.

If that doesn't work, it's probably down for the count and won't get back up. You can find new-in-box quality DVD/CD writers for less than $50 if you shop around and look for sales. Some of the office stores often have sales on Memorex units, which are good quality.

I think there are only three or four optical drive manufacturers anyway, just many different brand labels and pricepoints all over the map.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    DVD and CD read laser is the same, unless it's a very old ROM.
    edited June 2008
    UGH! Well that sucks. Oh well. Replacement time!

Thank you everyone for your help.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    DVD and CD read laser is the same, unless it's a very old ROM.
    ....or very old knowledge. ouch! :rolleyes: