RAM recommendation

yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
edited June 2008 in Hardware
I have a ASUS A8N5X 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD Motherboard with only one Gig of RAM. The type I bought is no longer made but would like to bump up to at least 2G. Is it a bad idea to have two different types/brands of RAM or does it matter? Any recommendations? I do some gaming so have a need for as much as possible on that MoBo.

Thanks.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    Mixing brands and speeds can lead to trouble. I strictly avoid it, but YMMV.
  • yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
    edited June 2008
    So you'd recommend just buying 2 new gigs of the same brand? Seems wasteful but I see the point.
    edited June 2008
    It's your call. I'm just saying that there are potential pitfalls.
    edited June 2008
    Even with the same specs? Newegg has "similar items" with the same speeds etc...
    edited June 2008
    Truly, not all memory is made the same. Even amongst modules with the same frequency and timings, they're slightly different. It's like a 250 HP V6 from Ford vs. a 250 HP V6 from Chevy. They all follow the basic rules of a good engine (JEDEC standards), but they vary slightly. I'm not saying you're destined for a headache, but I am saying that the potential for trouble is there and that there is a chance (However slight) that you'll have a bumpy ride.

If you want to try just one stick, you'll know right away if there are issues because you'll be met with freezes, blue screens or reboots.
    edited June 2008
    OK. Great advice.

After six months in Iraq Ive earned an upgrade anyway. Thanks for the help.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2008
    After six months in Iraq Ive earned an upgrade anyway.
    You have full agreement from me.
  • germanwolf35germanwolf35 Clarksville, TN
    edited June 2008
    Mixing RAM is VERY bad. These days RAM is rated not only by brand & speed, but in what's called "Latency". Latency is sorta like "timing" of the ram. If you put PC-8500 DDR2 that has 5-5-5-2 & 5-5-5-15 it will more than likely cause a problem.

Go to newegg. They have some good deals right now. I just bought 2X1gb of DDR2 PC-8500 Crucial Ballistic Tracer. & not only do they work good the LEDs on the sides of them are SWEET!!
    edited June 2008
    Today's BIOS will automatically run all sticks of RAM at the latencies specified by the slowest RAM.